Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 HV shot thru a Kicks choke? >

HV shot thru a Kicks choke?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

HV shot thru a Kicks choke?

Old 03-04-2004, 07:23 PM

Default HV shot thru a Kicks choke?

Can I shoot winchester HV thru my kicks gobblin thunder choke..don't know too much about the choke other then it is a decent one. got it used at the gun shop.
Also what is the diffence of regular turkey loads and H.V. ?? ( What is H.V.?)
Old 03-04-2004, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HV shot thru a Kicks choke?

I have shot Hevishot through my Kicks choke (.660) with no ill effects.

H.V. = High Velocity

Usually H.V. shells carry a little lighter load (shot) to achieve the velocity. Say for example 1 5/8 oz rather than a 2 ounce load.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:23 PM

I asked the same question to Nitro Company and they said yes. Their Hevi-shot loads are really hot and they have never had a problem with the Kicks GT.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:14 AM

I contacted Kick's and they said NOT TOO SHOOT HEVISHOT THROUGH THEIR CHOKES!
Old 03-05-2004, 10:28 AM

That`s what they say but Nitro says they`ve put thousands of rounds through Kick`s tubes and Never had a problem. If you hear me crying next week it`s because my Kicks couldn`t take the Hevi-shot loads I`m going to try this weekend. I would like to know why Kick`s doesn`t think their tubes are strong enough for Hevi-shot? Are they using cheaper quality steel then others? The restrictions are the same so maybe I`d better switch to Rhino and get a choke that can be used with everything. I just got off the phone with Kicks and they say there is NO CHOKE TUBE that can shoot Hevi-shot not Kicks ,Rhino Remington none. Their take is Hevi-shot is harder than the hardest Choke so barrel damage will result from using Hevi-shot in any gun.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

I would say,liston to the company that made the choke..
Old 04-03-2004, 09:30 PM

Bucks, yes you can shoot High-Velocity shells through a Kicks tube. As to whether or not to try Hevi-Shot, I would also say listen to what the choke manufacturer says. The Kicks tubes are made with a very tight constriction and you will probably get poor patterns with Hevi-Shot because it seems to work best with less constriction. But every gun will have different results, so you will need to decide for yourself what to try.

Do any of you other guys have any experience with the two different constrictions that Kicks offers for Remington guns? I went to buy a new one today and they have .655 and .665 tubes. I bought the .655 but I wonder if I screwed up? I will probably use Winchester or Remington #5 or #6 Hi-Vel, but am willing to change if I can get good advice.
Thanks, Al
Old 04-03-2004, 11:38 PM

Their take is Hevi-shot is harder than the hardest Choke so barrel damage will result from using Hevi-shot in any gun
If that is so then why would you not get more damage from steel. tungsten, ect. ect? Heavi-shot isn't as hard as the above.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:03 PM

Actually my understanding is Hevi-shot is harder than steel, remember the main metal used in Hevi-shot is tungsten carbide, which is harder than steel and regular tungsten shot.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:55 PM

If I'm reading your question right your are just wondering if you can shoot Winchester High Velocity (HV) through your choke. I think winchester only uses lead so yeah you can shoot all the coated leads in the high velocity with no problems. Now if you were wondering about HeviShot I would steer clear and find a good lead load. The Kicks choke is a good one and lead should work well.