Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 How many still,run to get the bird... >

How many still,run to get the bird...

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How many still,run to get the bird...

Old 02-25-2004, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default How many still,run to get the bird...

..just a question??how many here (still jump up and run like a wild person)when you
shoot that big gobbler,as for me i left it behind because i try to stay calm in the turkey
woods,what i mean is,i have missed a couple big turkeys do to getting in to big of a hurry
and being calm has paid off for this ole boy,not saying i dont get excited but i try to
control it,and the gobbler goes over the shoulder....[:-]
Old 02-25-2004, 07:03 AM

Default RE: How many still,run to get the bird...

that's funny you should mention that.....I, stay pretty calm, but after the shot, I sprint to get my foot on the turkey's head, whether it's flopping or laying stone dead....my dad(he's the one who taught me that) told me one time that I needed to be careful when I get up and break-neck to get to the gobbler...I shrugged it off and assured him that I wouldn't fall or anything....He told me that he wasn't worried about me falling, he said he was afraid that I was gonna shoot myself in the back....LOL
Old 02-25-2004, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

I, stay pretty calm, but after the shot, I sprint to get my foot on the turkey's head, whether it's flopping or laying stone dead.
Ditto rather get to him and give him a little help leavin' this world by hand rather than throw more pellets his was if nessecary
Old 02-25-2004, 07:52 AM

A lot of it depends on the reaction of the bird. A turkey can flop, jump, get in the air, or run after getting shot and can cover quite a bit of distance in just a few seconds. In these cases I will try to get to the bird as quickly as SAFELY possible. However, most of the birds I've killed have done little moving around and most of the time I like to sit still and savor the moment. Also, if there are other turkeys around I like to stay as still as I can, most times they will not know exactly what has happened, therefore you are not TRAINING additional turkeys, and sometimes they will come right back in or will gradually leave the area without being spooked too badly. These can be hunted another time which is what we all want... uneducated turkeys.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:54 AM

I'm still quick to the bird, even if someone else along with shot the bird, but I never did sprint. I can't imagine I'd ever feel nonchalant at that time, and casually stroll over. I guess if I did, I'd give up the game, because the thrill would be gone. Besides, I do believe in standing on their heads/necks if they are still flopping, and getting there quickly prevents a lot of feather loss.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I try to get to him as fast as these old bones will let me.When I was younger I used to get to them too fast.I still carry a few scars left by long sharp spurs.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no desire to see the bird I just "killed" get up and take off. I get to it as soon as I can to be sure that doesn't happen.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

It usually depends on the reaction of the bird. If there is a lot of flopping, I get there asap, otherwise I take my time and enjoy the moment.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I quit running along time ago!!I do get to the bird in a quick fashion but a safe one too!I guide hunters throughout the year and you'd be surprised to see what guys/girls can do in there excitement to get to a downed bird!I'm all for getting to them quickly but in a safe fashion.I've seen guys forget to shuck another round in there gun,forget to put there safety back on,trip and fall over there own 2 feet,leave there gun behind,loose calls, even drop there gun jumping up, all as result of there overexuberence to get to the bird!HMMMMMM With all this talk of how great shotgun patterns are nowadays whats the rush!!![:-]Unless we're taking marginal shots!!
Old 02-25-2004, 09:32 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: How many still,run to get the bird...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.