Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 ? on locating roosted birds >

? on locating roosted birds

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

? on locating roosted birds

Old 02-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default ? on locating roosted birds

What calls do you guys find best for locating a roosted Gobbler? And do you wait for a little light to trickle into the sky or do you call when you can see in the woods? I have only been a Turkey hunter for 1 year and the friend that took me last year used a owl call and it seemed to work okay. I just want your opinions, Thanks!
Old 02-20-2004, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: ? on locating roosted birds

It depends on what the turkey is in the mood to gobble back at and what part of the country you are hunting. Coyote howls work great out here in WA, crow calls don't seem to affect them at all, and a Barred Owl call works sometimes. I think almost any sudden loud noise can work on some days. I usually wait until daylight is just breaking to try a locator call, or I'll let the birds start the show themselves. Birds out here in WA will hit the ground anywhere from right at first light to sunrise, so you may be getting a gobbler that is on the ground to respond if you wait until you can see good. Then, that opens a whole other can of worms because he will be drawing hens to him too.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

...THE OWL HOOT WORKS FOR ME,HERE IN WV..EARLY MORNING
LATE EVENING HOURS....[:-]
Old 02-20-2004, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

Totoe quit shouting.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

I usually use a crow and owl..but this yr i just bought a goose call to try..i've heard it can get em fired up..have any of you ever used a goose call as a locator
Old 02-20-2004, 07:09 PM

I usually wait for real crows to start calling then I give it a short time.

Don't use a turkey call much if at all while he is on the limb.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

The birds on my lease won't respond to an owl hoot at all. I think it has to do with a lot of pressure over the years. I usually use a crow call. I wait until the crows start and then join in and have had quite a bit of success at it. I wouldn't use a coyote howl on my lease, I think it would spook the birds into going the other direction due to the # of yotes that are on the property.

One thing that I had a seasoned turkey veteran point out to me is, don't use a locater call and a turkey call from the same place. This isn't natural and the birds will know it. We've had some guys on our lease that will try an owl hoot and then a mouth call a couple minutes later while standing by their truck. If they don't hear anything, they crank up and go on which is another lesson for the birds to learn. I still like hunting the property though. I like to observe things they do wrong and then try to capitalize on mistakes.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

On private ground I like to use a coyote howler or goose flute early,and I mean early before daylight!This gives me an opportunity if successful in getting in tight!As daylight approach's I let the birds do there own thing!Slee is right on the money it does depend on what part of the country you are in as to what locators work best and make sense!On hunted ground or public I dont even bother with a locator but let the birds sound-off on there own and on many occasions its been well after dawn!1187 here in Calif,goose calls work terrific!!
Old 02-20-2004, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like good advice from GB about not owl hooting and turkey calling from the same location. That is one piece of info I will take into the woods with me. I never seem to get any response from owl hooting in my area. Maybe because of the pressure. Crow calling seems to do the trick tho.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never have had good sucess with an owl call here...I love the peacock call...it's something that's a way different sound to them..and they really respond to it...I have used my Goose call with good result's...in the evening's, I like using a yote call. Crow call's seem to work some of the time's......rememember once I bought a new item from Madd Call's....was called the "Silent Locater Call".....lol...what a waste of $15.00....Had a Primos staffer with me....we both had one...We were blowing it up on a hill behind my place.....not a peep....took out my trusty peacock call....got just about 1/2 a call out.....geeeeeez....we had bird's gobblin 50 yard's from us....fact we heard tom's half way down the mountian....I yanked that Madd call off my neck and gave it a heave.....if anyone want's it....I'll give em direction's to about where it landed in the weed's...

Quick Reply: ? on locating roosted birds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.