Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

tick updates

Old 02-16-2004, 04:39 PM

Default tick updates

is your hunting areas that you hunt turkeys infested with ticks?.
your ideas to keep them off of you.some areas around here i try to avoid, but its getting to a point that everywhere you go they are there.
some more than other places. i make sure i check myself after the hunt and get my wife to help.they are nothing to mess around with and hope all hunters take precautions.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:11 PM
Spike

Default RE: tick updates

There are plenty of ticks around my hunting area. I don't usually get through the season without picking up a couple. Two of the best things that I use to keep ticks to a minimum are Snake boots with my pants tucked inside and treating my clothes (hat and mask also) with Permanone. Good luck this year.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in big-time tick country. Both deer and wood ticks are all over. I've gotten to love the Permanone. After an application to my external clothes I can hunt tick-free for a week, rain or shine.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep,Treat your camo's with Permanone and you'll be alot more at ease in the turk woods!Now for those pesky fire and piss ants I've found only one thing works....MOVE.....[:@]
Old 02-16-2004, 07:36 PM
VP

We dont really have a big tick problem down here, I dont know why?? Maybe the mosqitoes haul em all off or something like that.. You do have to worry about them blood suckers thou- You'll get that West Nile Virus down here just walking to the mailbox.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Permanone works. Last year I picked up one of the lil buggers during a scouting trip that I didn't even have too much contact with tall grass/brush. Never even sat down. After treating my clothes, I sat in, walked through, laid down on, hid in some of the most likely areas to pick up ticks, and picked none up. I'm sold.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:14 PM

we have them cedar trees....ticks love to stay on them....well i forgot about the cedar tree deal ...i sat down under one......started calling ....i looked on me and there they were....i was covered with 400 to 1000 seed ticks....man i went nuts i was taking off clothes in the woods...the ticks here in tenn love cedar trees they just fall out of the tree onto you......this works realy good....use Permanone and deet on you that will get them....and always tuke your clothes in ....put your mask down your shirt....that will stop the buggers....from getting to the danger zone....
Old 02-17-2004, 07:34 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Beleive it or not Yuse guys hit on something I work with --->TICKS!!!

HERE IS WHAT I DO!

YES I use Permanone but please read the label directions! This is a topical treatment for clothes only. Any contact with skin one should wash with soap and water. I would not treat head nets with this stuff!

Second it was mentioned to tuck your pants legs in. Better yet pull your socks over your pants or long johns if ya are in a colder climate! Also wear a round neck long sleeve T-Shirt. With long sleves and a tight neck it will be harder for a tick to get in the right spot!
Your layer of under clothes can help keep ticks out if the shirt is tucked inthe pants and with socks over the legs all ya have sticking out are your hands and your head! Think about it.

Third to make your permanone work even better spray and insert in a big plastic bag and seal over night!

Ticks have a hard time crawling on those green rubber boots.

If you are heavily infested and they are all over your clothes. Take your clothes and put in a dryer at a high heat setting. - NOTE!!!!! EMPTY YOUR POCKETS OF SHOTGUNN SHELLS!!!
Ticks are the only Arthopod that I know make ya get naked with someone else - Why? - ya can't see everywhere!

IF BITTEN!
Prompt removal is a must. The quicker you take it outa ya the better chance you have of not getting anything that dang little tick is carrying! Trat the area bitten with an antibiotic ointment and then wash your hands! Then take a piece of scotch tape, cover the tick and put it on a file card marking the area bit, the date, location U picked it upetc. This may be helpful if you come down with some type of symptom. Alsow watch the bitten are for a few days. Any infection go see a Dr.!

Also review symptoms.... I ain't trying to scare any of ya but the little tick carries many other diseases more than Lymes. Rocky Moutnain Spotted Fever, Tick Paralysis, to name a few.

Finally - products such as insect repellents do work on your skin to prevent tick bites. But any product containg DEET is also a plasticizer so be carefully spraying around your calls.

Hope this helps!

JW!
Old 02-17-2004, 05:12 PM
VP

Thats some good info JW, thanks for posting it-
Old 02-17-2004, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes JW..thanks for the info!!!

Quick Reply: tick updates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.