Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Theres always room for learning... >

Theres always room for learning...

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Theres always room for learning...

Old 02-15-2004, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Theres always room for learning...

Doesn't matter how long you've hunted turks they'll still be giving us an education when alls said and done!!
Sometimes the turkey outsmarts the hunter

Just when you think you know it all, some ol' gobbler will school you...
By John Phillipps....... Most turkey pursuers consider hunting the wild turkey a continuing-education program.

Just about the time you think you know all you can about hunting turkeys, some ol' gobbler will remind you that you don't understand as much as you thought you did.

I recently hunted with Larry Norton, a two-time winner of the World Turkey Calling Championship and a turkey hunter his entire life.

Our combined turkey-hunting knowledge spanned 75 years. If anyone should have known how to take a turkey, the two of us should.

However, I soon learned that these turkeys hadn't read the books I'd written on hunting them or seen Norton's awards for his championship calling.

The toms we hunted together recently didn't appreciate our hunting expertise. Our hunt reminded me once more of why turkey hunters must constantly re-educate themselves.

Norton and I worked a bird at daylight.

Totally seduced by Norton's calling, the tom gobbled every time Norton spoke turkey to him.

But the bird stood about 50 yards away from us — behind a hill — and couldn't understand why the hen didn't come to him, which nature intended.

Finally some other hens got with him, and he left Norton and me sitting empty-handed.

Then around 10 a.m., we sat down to blind call because we couldn't see or hear a turkey. Next Norton dozed off, and I heard a turkey gobble in the distance.

Using a box call, I answered the turkey and woke Norton up. To encourage the tom to talk, Norton used his mouth diaphragm call and sang a love song to the turkey.

Although the turkey in the distance didn't answer, a bird about 150 yards away sounded off like thunder on a stormy night.

Norton and I immediately moved 50 yards closer to the gobbling turkey.

As we'd guessed, the tom started coming toward us, gobbling. We heard him fading off and hens yelping.

Because we assumed the turkey had gone off with the hens, we stood up and flushed the gobbler I'd heard in the distance and spoken to with the box call and his hens.

"Often when you're calling a vocal tom, another turkey will come in behind you, just like what happened this morning," Norton said. "That second turkey was most likely a subordinate gobbler that was trying to sneak in and mate with a hen without getting beaten by the dominant gobbler.

"If you call and a distant turkey answers, expect the distant gobbler to come to you. Don't leave your calling position too quickly."

The next time you go after a bad bird, do so with the full understanding that the gobblers most likely will re-educate you — just like they did Norton and me on our hunt.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:12 AM

Default RE: Theres always room for leaning...

Great post Bobgobble2, How very true that story is. Some of my favorite words of wisdome are.. The same Gobbler will make an expert look like a fool one day, and make a rookie look like a pro the next. Thats the beauty of turkey hunting, you never know how hard or how easy it will be. Just when you think you got turkeys all figured out they make a fool out of you.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

great post
Old 02-15-2004, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW! How true.Nothin is more humblin than to be beat by a critter with a brain the size of a pea.And they still whoop me alot
Old 02-15-2004, 04:12 PM

..Guess what???after 26 years it still happens to me...but not quite as often.....
nice story thanks...
Old 02-16-2004, 08:10 AM

Default RE: Theres always room for learning...

I've educated, and been educated by turkeys too many times to count. No two situations are alike when setting up on a Tom, even when you think you are applying some tidbit of knowledge learned by a previous setup there are too many variables to add to the mix. I think this is what gets me so excited about turkey hunting... even when you do everything right it still sometimes is not enough to finish the deal.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:44 PM

That's a great story, and, sadly, one that I could repeat from my own experience. Every day is a different learning experience with those gobblers. That's part of why I love the sport so passionately!!
Old 02-16-2004, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

i also agree i think most of the mistakes i make out there is lack of patience i must always remind myself of this while working abird
Old 03-13-2004, 11:52 PM
Typical Buck

Old 03-14-2004, 07:48 AM

good post, bob
turkey hunting truly is a humbling experience. I just posted a reply to a guy looking for tips, but I forgot to add that even though I consider myself a seasoned veteran of the turkey woods, I still hunt about 25 days a year and average 4 birds hunting 2 states.That's about a 84% FAILURE rate. Never looked at it like that before, maybe I should take up golf!

Quick Reply: Theres always room for learning...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.