Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Vests

Old 02-12-2004, 08:09 AM

Default Vests

Looking to get a good turkey vest, but with all of the choices avaiable out there, here is the question. What makes a good turkey vest, what do you look for in a turkey vest?
Thanks Robert.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Vests

I look for pocket placement. The pockets have to be convenient to gain access to when you are sitting. The better the pockets are placed the less movement there is getting calls out of them. The most importnat thing I think is that the seat that is attached to it is very comfortable for those long sits at the base of the tree.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with Pat on this one. My main concern is COMFORT though, not only when sitting but when its hot too. If you get a vest that has too much material, you'll get hot on up in the day and that aint much fun. I like a pretty open vest that at the very least breathes good and I can put all my stuff and as Pat said its accessible.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Pat on the pockets factor!! This is where the Mossy Oak Elite II 20-pocket turkey vest shines, you talk about pockets!!

As far as the actual seat that comes with most vests, they aren't that great after a long sitting session!! The best thing is to get yourself one of those H.S. Strut turkey seats with the folding legs. Those are the most comfortable things to be sitting on for any long waits. I have both H.S. Strut seats and prefer the folding leg model because of the cross bar between the legs, this will prevent the seat from sinking too far into the ground VS the non-folding one. They are very light weith and come with a shoulder strap. At 255 lbs, these seats are a joy to be sitting on!!!
Old 02-12-2004, 08:43 PM

Right here is everything I had been looking for in a vest. It is the Mossy Oak Super Elite II.

I bought one before the season opened last spring. Now I don't know how I got along without it for so long!
Old 02-13-2004, 09:09 AM

Maytom has great advice about seating. I'd add to that with recommending you also get a camo beaded seat cushion. I sit on my beaded seat on top of my H.S. Strut webbed seat, and take the Elite drop down seat off my vest and use it for a back support/rest/cushion against the tree.

Lately, I've been contemplating the purchase of an internal-framed vest like the Little Big Horn gobblers lounger, because there aren't so many trees to lean up against out west.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:33 AM
taw

Lots of pockets for my friction calls. The super elite is the ultimate!
Old 02-13-2004, 10:04 AM

The seat cushion is a must. I bought a cheap vest at wal-mart and the only complaint I have is it doesn't hold my box call well.