Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

WHAT EXACTLY IS A WMA?

Old 02-09-2004, 03:00 PM

Default WHAT EXACTLY IS A WMA?

Thankfully I am blessed and able to hunt good private land. However, I have been looking into hunting public land for a challenge and to go out-of-state. In a state like GA there is a WMA lisense available for purchase. I realize it means Wildlife Management Area but beyond that I am clueless. In a state that has WMA's, is all public land a WMA, or is there public land for hunting in which I would not need the WMA permit. Thanks guys.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-09-2004, 06:29 PM
VP

Default RE: WHAT EXACTLY IS A WMA?

Poult is right WMA's are most often Privately held lands which in most cases are managed by the state or Federal Wildlife Dept's.
WMA's are a big part of public hunting in the South and the season dates are normally different the regular State dates, sometimes only Lottory pics are taken to hunt some of these areas- Typically, the hunting is very good because the lands and wildlife are managed so well- At least thats the case here in Louisiana- Most of our biggest Deer and Turkeys are taken off the WMA's.
Alot of these lands are owned by Timber Co, but most down here in the lower part of the state are owned by the Army Corp of Eng..

Here state residents are required to purchase the normal state license, and then if they wish to hunt a WMA they are required to purchase a WMA Lic for an additional $25 but is good for any WMA State Wide-

Hope that helps
Old 02-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Here in Minnesota, WMA are owned by the state and are open for public hunting.They are bought and paid for by state money and are open to all for hunting.They are managed for the purpose of supporting wildlife.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Idaho wma land is owned by a government entity. Farmers are allowed to set up a deal to farm it . A certain percentage must be left standing for feed and cover. About 75 % of the state is publicaly owned. And a permit is not needed to hunt these lands. Just the wma for stocked species like pheasants. If it ain't stockd. The hunting is free.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

Arkansas

WMA's are publicly owned lands that may or may not require a permit to turkey hunt. Check http://www.agfc.com for information.

There are some privately owned (mostly from timber companies) lands in and around WMA's that are called "Leased Lands." The leased lands usually require a permit. There are also some natural heritage lands that are open to hunting without permit but they are usually smaller tracts.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

In Virginia, a WMA is a Wildlife Management Area. The land is government-owned and open to the public for hunting.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:44 PM

SC is the same as GA.
Privately owned land leased to the state.
National Forest is included in this also and a WMA stamp is needed to hunt that.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:38 AM

In Georgia a WMA can be either private land leased to the state, or a part of the Nat'l Forest. For example I hunt a WMA in Oconee Nat'l Forest. It is Federally owned, but the state manages for Wildlife. There are other areas of Oconee Nat'l Forest that are not WMA's, so you would not need a special stamp to hunt them....only a regular hunting license.

Hope that helps a little.