Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Am I crazy????

Old 02-08-2004, 09:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default Am I crazy????

I know the subject line is a debate in itself, but I was wondering why everyone seems to be so concerned with having the lightest gun they can get. To me, wouldn't a heavier gun be better to tame the recoil on the 3 1/2" turkey loads? Or is it due to everyone carrying more "stuff" into the woods and they just don't mind the recoil?
Old 02-08-2004, 09:35 PM

Default RE: Am I crazy????

Most people I know who like to use the lighter guns also use lighter loads. Usually 2 3/4" or 3". Personally I shoot a 3" and my shotgun is HEAVY. I don't ever notice the recoil though, it's always BOOM, then as I'm jacking the shell out I'm already up and running to the bird! lol Recoil? Whats that?
Old 02-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Typical Buck

While I agree that most people don't feel the recoil when they shoot (at) a bird, I for one am a believer in you play as you practice. If you practice with a light gun and heavy loads (such as those we hunt with), you can and most probably will develop some bad habits. (ie flinching, jerking the trigger, throwing your shoulder to accept recoil) I guess the reason for my post is to see if there is anyone else out there that actually adds weight to their gun, or other accessories, or modify their guns to help tame the recoil. And some reasons for and against weight being a factor when buying a new gun. I shot competitive in the Marine Corps and got quite used to the light recoil of the M16 and find that my training "on how to hold a weapon when firing" comes back to me at the most inopportune times. (usually when I'm sighting in or patterning a heavy caliber gun) [:@] I have also found the older I get, the less recoil I like. [X(]

No offense meant by the post, just fishing for some tips on controlling my ultimag.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:26 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-09-2004, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

I can't speak for most, but I would guess that most folks like a lighter gun since they end up carrying the gun a lot more than shooting it. As for taming recoil. I use a Benelli M-1 which is a pretty light gun. It only shoots 3" shells which is fine with me. I put a sims recoil pad on it and the reduction in recoil was amazing. The heavier the load the better it works. You can hardly notice three inch duck loads. I can't wait to see how it works when sighhting in for this spring.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

I personally don't feel the kick from my three inch shells when I shoot at a turkey, but they sure kick the crap out of me when I pattern it at the range. I like a little heavier shotgun. JMHO. BB
Old 02-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I dont like a really heavy gun. I can understand when shooting heavy loads that you would want a little heavier of a gun but I still have to carry it a long distace.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

I can use some type sissy bag or pad on the range to help with recoil. I don't shoot many hunting loads before season, just enough to know I'm on target and how it patterns at various ranged in 10 yard increments. (About a dozen last season and six this year.)
I don't seem to feel recoil in the field when the bird is in the sights.
I want a light gun because turkey hunting requires a lot of walking and carrying the gun but not much shooting.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

I put a TruGlo recoil pad on all my turkey guns. It's made on the same material as the limb savers for bows and it seem to make a difference for me.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

my 1187 is light and will pack a punch w/ the 3 1/2's but when mr. turkey is standing there who thinks of that?

Quick Reply: Am I crazy????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.