Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Bow Hunting

Old 01-05-2004, 04:26 PM

Default Bow Hunting

I have been turkey hunting with a shotgun for many years and have decided to hunt them with a bow now. What advice would be helpful. Thanks
Old 01-05-2004, 04:43 PM

Default RE: Bow Hunting

Buy a blind.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bow Hunting Turkeys

Bow hunting Turkeys can be one of the most hardest hunts and also can end up a very easy hunt if patiences is practiced. Setup and Shot Placement seems to be the key for the success. The drawing of a bow is one of the hardest things to cover up.

Broad Heads:
Keeping the Broad head in the Bird, is the Key to recovery. A standered broadhead can be used a number of different ways. A game string (tracker) can be used to help find the bird but the chances of the string breaking after inpact is very high as the bird takes off. Another way is to use of a light washer on the threaded end of a Thunderhead so it will slow penitration down as the arrow enters the bird.

Mechanicals:
There are a number of different brands out there for the Turkey hunter.
Spitfire, makes the 125gr. Gobbler Getters with a 1 1/2" cut, the tip is more rounded (dull) to slow down penitration. Grim Reaper, is also another head that works well with a added light washer but it has a 1 3/8"cut. You can also take your favorite broad head and file the tip down to a dull point, this will help slow the penitration. A wide cutting edge is a good idea for a choice. Rocket Sledgehammer's/ 3 1/2" cut - 150 gr. is a great head with a wide cutting edge. The wider the edge the quicker the kill can be.

Blinds: Are a peice of equipment that comes in handy for the bow hunter to help cover the draw of the bow at setup.
They can come in different shapes and sizes.
The making of a natural blind can work but Time and Movement in the hunt can be the downfall.
Window blinds that attach to the front of the bow can mask movement, but can be hard to carry as one changes setup areas.

BuckWing ,makes the port-a-Roof a 3/4 unbrella style that sits on the ground infront of the hunter, they are easy to use and move well if needed.
Amsterstep, is another that makes blinds, everything from the doghouse that can be moved around , to House blinds that are setup and a hunter can sit in. These blinds do have shooting windows that will help conceal the movement of the draw.

Decoys: can help a little as one draws, If the bird will display to the decoy, the hunter can get a chance to draw as the tail side faces the hunter. The fan will stop the sight of the gobbler, from seeing the draw of the bow.

Shot Placement:
Is one of the most important tricks in being successfull. The vitals of a Wild Turkey are very small being the size of a Tennis ball. There are a number of places that one can take to down your Gobbler.

1/ As the bird faces you, a well placed arrow at the base of the beard will do the job.
2/ The side view, a shot at the base of the wing at the body.
3/ Walking away, a shot in the spine with drop the bird.
4/ In Fan facing away, at the base of the fanned tail will exspire a bird quickly.
5/ The Head, One that practices enough to hit the small vitals should have no problem hitting the head for the cleanest kill of all. This shot is a Hit or Miss shot, and the hunter will not run the risk of loosing a wounded bird.
It is not untypical of a turkeys to run after a Bow shot. The hunter tends to shoot for the vitals in place of a head shot. As most animals shot in the body vitals they will go untill exspire happens. With turkeys they can move fast and get out of eye sight and hide (go down a hole)eg. before the exspiring happens and the hunter has a lost bird on his hands. This is why they want to be on the bird ASAP.

Adrian J Hare
QuakerBoy Game Calls
Old 01-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Slate,by your user name I would definately look into using a mouth call if you dont already.Having your hands free to maneuver and draw your bow is obviously critical!
Old 01-05-2004, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

you guys are better than me, i have a hard enough time with a shotgun.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the replies and I will definatly be buying a blind and start practicing with my mouth calls more than I normally do.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:53 AM

ralphie said it best ,buy a blind!! those suckers can see your pinky twitch at 500 yards !!