Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

[Deleted]

Old 02-07-2002, 03:01 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-07-2002, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Garmin GPS

Poult, I do I have the old Magellen TrailBlazer , it works great and don't need the up grade , It got me out of woods 7 years ago it should today...BT
Old 02-07-2002, 06:00 PM

Just picked up a magellen pioneer from ebay for $38, I'm a ebay addict. As long as it tells you your position and you can read a map there is no need to upgrade.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:12 PM
Typical Buck

I've got the Garmin E-Trax ($120) which I use all the time for hunting and scouting. One hand operation is nice and picks up satellites in under a minute. It is a very simple,as well as reliable GPS and has helped me out many a time.

TB
Old 02-07-2002, 06:56 PM

I have a Garmin gps 12. Old design but works super. I love it.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:48 PM

It's the e-trax for me too. It has gotten me off of ice covered lakes in snow storms and fog and will take me to with in 8 feet of where I was fishing if I want to find the spot again. I don't go to the field without it.
Old 02-07-2002, 08:56 PM
Spike

Hey Poult,

There has been two significant improvements in GPS units in the past couple of years. One is the base maps which show you where you are. This comes in handy when you hunt a new spot and are not familiar with any landmarks and don't have a topo map. I used a railroad track whitetail hunting one year to keep me on the land I had permission to hunt on.

The other big improvement is the new WAAS capability. WAAS is an upgrade to the GPS satellite system that the FAA implemented but it is helping hunters and fishermen get even better accuracy. Accuracy in older GPS can range from 30 to 100 feet. This is pretty good unless you're looking for a trail or treestand in fog. Accuracy with WAAS is down near 10 feet.

One other slick idea in the GPS field I saw last week at the SHOT show in Las Vegas. Garmin has a GPS and FRS radio combo unit out that you can talk on and it also shows on the base map where your buddies are. You save weight and bulk with just one piece of gear instead of two. The Rhino is due out in June 2002.

More info on the Garmin Rhino here.

http://www.garmin.com/products/rino/

The other Garmin GPS that is getting a lot of buzz is the GPSMAP 76. I have a Garmin III+ and Garmin has upgraded it to the Garmin V. The base map now has 24 megs of storage. You can find more info on these GPS at http://www.garmin.com/outdoor/

I've also got some info and reviews on GPS at

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/gps.html

~spectr17

Edited by - spectr17 on 02/07/2002 22:08:20
Old 02-07-2002, 10:42 PM

I have used a Magellan Blazer12 for 4 years now, and see no need to upgrade. A guy I work with showed me his new high-end Garmin, and it was very impressive. Does a lot of things my lower-end unit will not. Just have to ask yourself, "will I use the extra features an upgrade will provide?" If the answer is yes, and you are ok with the price, you'll probably be happy with a newer version. I wouldn't use the extra features of an upgrade very often (if at all), so it doesn't make any sense for ME to spend the money.

I love using gps with the USGS 7.5 minute maps, though I always keep a good compass tucked somewhere in my vest.
Old 02-08-2002, 02:16 AM

I agree with KS Headhunter about the compass backup!
Old 02-08-2002, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

A compass is absolutely necessary to use in conjunction with the GPS.

I've got the Garmin e-Trex. It does an outstanding job and is so compact I carry it with me all the time outdoors. If I were recommending one it would be the e-Trex Camo. The camo face isn't the only difference. It has a built-in game/fish solunar table. Worth the extra $10.00 if you ask me. The yellow IS easy to find if you drop it though.

Romans 8:28

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.