Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New Turkey Hunter Here

Old 11-17-2003, 08:53 PM

Default New Turkey Hunter Here

I am a new turkey hunter. I became interested several months ago and have been watching every video, and reading every book I could get my hands on. I have also learned a couple of mouth calls and have a box on the way. I picked up a couple of predator calls, and best of all..., I have a couple of folks locally who have said, " we' re gonna put you on some birds in the Spring." So, all in all... I guess I am off to a good start. Now, I need a gun for Christmas. ha ha ha ha ha. I guess you' d have thought I had that first? ha ha. But, I' ve spent some time in the outdoors, just never hunted longbeards. I am looking forward to learning. As of now folks, I am ready to head out with some tags and video knowledge. If everyone would give me just one important tip about turkey hunting, you could save me a miserable first or second hunt!!! ha ha ha. Thanks. I' m having a great time reading posts and looking at the pics. Good luck to you' ins.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:29 PM

Default RE: New Turkey Hunter Here

One important thing is to know when to stop calling.Don' t call as much as they do in those videos because all they are wanting is footage of the bird strutting and gobbling.If you can tell for absolute certain that he is on his way in STOP calling.Trust me he will find you.I was out scouting one year before season and heard one gobbling hard so I thought I would yelp just a few times to see what happens.The bird was a good 300 yards out.I yelped just 4 times on a mouth call and sit and waited for about 5 minutes and saw him at 150 yards and coming straight at me.He stopped at 30 yards and was burning holes in my camo.He knew where I was and done a circle around me.He never did see me because I buried myself in a brushpile.That is when I learned that they can pinpoint you from a good distance off.If you call to much you can very well make them " hang up" .There is a lot to learn and you won' t see everything on videos or read them in magazines.You should learn something ever time you go hunting for the elusive wild turkey.Wish you the best of luck.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Carolina, welcome aboard.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the roost Carolina!
Alot is made today of your gear in preperation for hunting turks and no doubt proper attire,calls,and all the equipment involved in hunting longbeards have an important place.But with that said I' m a firm believer in doing your homework afield well before season comes in.Effective scouting gives the hunter a real ligite chance to put all that equipment to work.Knowing the lay of the land,roostsites,feeding/watering patterns,travel routes,strutting areas,all come by putting in some time afield that I would suggest before season.Learn your birds and there particular habits in your specific area and things will fall into place!Good luck and hang with the gang here it' s a great flock!!Bob
Old 11-18-2003, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome aboard.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:35 AM

welcome aboard... hey im new aswell to the art of turkey hunting
Old 11-18-2003, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its nice to see the new faces , welcome to the roost...BT
Old 11-18-2003, 09:35 PM

Welcome to the board, Clucker! There' s a lot to be learned here, feel free to join in anytime!

Best tip I could give you is to get out there this spring and get some firsthand experience in the turkey woods. You can learn a lot from the real things themselves. Believe me, they can humble you at times!
Old 11-20-2003, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

nice tip' s guys I' ll be lookin for more to come never hunted turkey but we have numbers on the rise out here and I' m gunna give it a try." HUNT ON"

Old 11-20-2003, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome to the turkey hunting family Carolina....Just be forewarned...Once you get into turkey hunting it WILL ruin all your other hunting. You will get so freakin' addicted to chasin' these birds you won' t care about anything else...can I get an amen?.......These birds will break your heart too. Just when you think you got them figured out things don' t work out as planned, but its still a kick. I got into turks about four years ago, and now I am a certifiable turkey hunting nutcase...I think about it all the time. Always workin' calls to get better...And have to been involved in my local NWTF chapter to make it better for all of us.

Best advice I can give (some has already been given by others)...but let me emphasise two VERY IMPORTANT POINTS: Have an endless amount of PATIENCE and DON' T MOVE ONE I-ODA! If you move, you' re DONE. What a deer has in a nose, turkeys have in eyesight! Be willing to log in what I call serious " butt-time." That the time sitting on your butt waiting for your shot. As I always say..." When your rear gets sore, sit some more." Thats what successful turkey hunters do..they log in the hours. Invest in an HS Strut " strut-seat" (short seat with 4" legs and webbing to sit on). Worth every cent. Double it up with a padded turkey vest and you' ll be able to sit for longer periods.

Good luck and again, welcome aboard.

Quick Reply: New Turkey Hunter Here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.