Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Done deal in wv

Old 05-08-2024, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Done deal in wv

9.5/1"/18 lb 10 oz.

10.25/1.25/20 # on the button
Old 05-08-2024, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

NICE ! Congrats RR ! Way to get it done !
Old 05-11-2024, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

That's a good one. Nice job
Old 05-13-2024, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Was a frustrating season, the limbhanger made the 20th gobbler I set up on, but it was multiple gobblers every time till then, was 2 weeks into season, had called 3 gobblers in a bunch across a small field, a pair of eagles ran them off. 2 days later a pair of gobblers were coming to the call and once again were assaulted by the eagles. That nest has been active for 7-8 years and never before of the dozen or so turkeys I have taken there, did the eagles bother them.
So changed areas and found a group of 3 gobblers sounding off. Some aggressive calling on an enticer wet slate call and I saw them coming at 125 yards. Got the franchi 20 ga. On them and dumped the lead gobbler at 30 yards.
Hunted a few more mornings, heard a bunch of gobblers, alot of gobbling but seems they ignored hen calling but gobbled their fool heads off at each other, was getting mad and frustrated, then it hit me.
I had seen this before, 25 years ago, so I dug through my bucket of calls and found a primos gobbler shaker call, put it in my vest and came up with a plan.
The most vocal gobbler I had heard that week was the target, I knew where his strutting lane was, instead of taking my normal approach from the west, I came in from the south, at 1/4 mile from his strut zone I made a fly down cackle, heard nothing, a series of loud yelps, nothing. Shook the gobbler tube and heard a faint gobble.
Moved in 125-150 yards closer shook it again and he immediately responded. I closed the distance some more and found a place to hide in the fork of a big downed oak tree.
Shook the tube and he gobbled closer, I immediately gobbled twice and he cut off the second gobble with is own double, so I cut him off with a gobble threw the call aside looked through the FF3 and saw him coming at 60 yards. At 35 yards I sent a 2 oz load of #9 TSS into his face. He never moved, just done a back flip, and laid there with his fan spread and his back feathers standing up.
all total I hunted 20 mornings to fill my tags
Old 05-13-2024, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds life you maximized your fun this season lol

Old 05-13-2024, 01:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice bird RR!