Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Decoys or no Decoys

Old 02-15-2024, 06:05 AM
Typical Buck

Years ago I started using a single Tom strutter that I made myself. I found through experience that if I found a dominant Tom in a field or area that he seemed to be guarding if I slipped in and put the stutter in the field when he wasn’t there he would come on a string. After doing this for awhile in every state I went to (over twenty )it was getting so easy I decided to change tactics and leave the Tom for bow hunting. In the beginning I never talked about this on forums. I should add back then I new several older guys from Georgia that used to fan but never talked about it . Anyway a few years later I think primos did some shows with a taxi stutter prior to putting out the mobile b I believe it was called . Well the trick was out lol

Last edited by Timbrhuntr; 02-15-2024 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-15-2024, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

RR, I'll admit that run n gun is my favorite method. Stalking a tom by slipping from tree to tree, sneaking up behind any small rise or crawling through any depression or behind brush is an absolute blast.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:30 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I agree RR. I wish I was able to Run And Gun. But I'm not able to hunt that way anymore. Crippled fingers, busted back. So I searched for ways to keep me going. Rather locate and cut the distance down by going to them. Now. I locate and put a stake in the ground and declare come to me! Some long waits at times.

Jw
Old 02-16-2024, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JW
I agree RR. I wish I was able to Run And Gun. But I'm not able to hunt that way anymore. Crippled fingers, busted back. So I searched for ways to keep me going. Rather locate and cut the distance down by going to them. Now. I locate and put a stake in the ground and declare come to me! Some long waits at times.

Jw
sometimes the best piece of equipment for turkey hunting is a comfy chair but not too comfy! Sucks waking up to putting Tom just leaving because your snort spooked him !
Old 02-17-2024, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW

Jw
know how that is JW, since my bout with pneumonia in 2019 my running is about 200 yards from my truck, last fall I thought I would die carrying out a gobbler when I forgot my inhaler. Fortunately I have places where from experience I know there is a gobbler within 200 yards of my truck when I shut it off, and it is fairly easy walking. Still a struggle at times.
Old 02-20-2024, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about the physical problems JW and RR. I definitely can feel your pain. I have back and leg issues and am trying to rehab both. I wish both of you well with your respective health issues.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Sorry to hear about the physical problems JW and RR. I definitely can feel your pain. I have back and leg issues and am trying to rehab both. I wish both of you well with your respective health issues.
well the turkeys think they can breathe easier when i'm gone, but they need to beware of the ones I have taught! Its been a good ride.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:02 AM
Dominant Buck

I have had mixed results using decoys. Some times they see the decoy and come in like they are on a rope and other times they take one look ....putt and blow out of town. I tend to run and gun so more often I just don't have time to get decoys set up.
Old 02-25-2024, 06:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am sorry to hear about all you folks with the health issues. I am pretty much in the same boat with a knee that was scoped years back acting up. In October of 2022 I had back surgery with mixed results. However the doc did say that it would help me walking somewhat even though the pain may not go away. That’s that and a fight with cancer (2015-2016) that gives me coughing fits at times. I guess it is better than the alternative anyways. But it doesn’t stop me from trying to do what I like to enjoy. My last bird was similar to the run and gun. Only I drive a pipeline/powerline and will stop along areas where I have seen turkeys before. I would use my pot call and see if I can get a response. If so I will look for a place to park and then walk back to where he was and try to get him to come out. Last year my last bird took an hour and a half to get him out. No decoys and only calling when the wise bird would respond. I also some times just walk into an area that’s easy walking and set up with hopes of drawing one out with a submissive hen and a Jake.. It mostly depends on the mood they are in I guess. But those pipeline/powerlines can be tough as others drive by at times. So it’s still a challenge..
Old 02-25-2024, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never had any luck with a decoy , I gave all of mine away , I do carry just a fan , and it works great , ( private land only) I’m not talking reaping if a gobbler hangs up in sight but is to far I ease the fan up and just twist it left to right , once he sees it more times than not he comes on in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.