Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Flock management advise

Old 02-03-2024, 05:19 AM
neb
Typical Buck

Default Flock management advise

I hope I get some answers here on helping in managing wild turkey on my place. I do allow hunters to harvest a few birds but I do have a very low number of mature Toms. I believe there is an abondance of jakes, but it is hard to tell when the birds are all flocked up.

Do and will jakes breed successfully. I have read where a year-old male doesn't have what it takes for a successful fertilization.

So do II allow hunting for Mature Toms this spring with such low numbers?

How can I help with sustaining the flock to healthy numbers?

Here are a few pictures. In the first picture I believe all 14 or 16 birds are jakes. Correct me if I'm wrong.
https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=43812&stc=1&d=17069700 43
https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/att...1&d=1706970126
Attached Thumbnails Flock management advise-mfdc8935.jpg   Flock management advise-mfdc8387.jpg  

Last edited by neb; 02-03-2024 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-03-2024, 07:07 AM
neb
Typical Buck

No advise or knowledge on jakes breeding successfully. Wow!! For a forum designated to turkey hunting enthusiasts sure doesn't have much feedback on anything.

Old 02-03-2024, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

Definitley not an expert but from what I have read most wild jakes in the spring are not mature enough to have viable sperm ! Some do they say but they seem to be the exception. I used to hunt in Montana around broadus area and I always saw lots of jakes and very few toms . I did see toms but they seemed few and far between. Then the next year I would go after seeing over a dozen jakes the previous year and think man should be lots of two year olds this spring and guess what ? I would see multiple jakes again ! Never did figure that one out !
Old 02-03-2024, 04:16 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
Definitley not an expert but from what I have read most wild jakes in the spring are not mature enough to have viable sperm ! Some do they say but they seem to be the exception. I used to hunt in Montana around broadus area and I always saw lots of jakes and very few toms . I did see toms but they seemed few and far between. Then the next year I would go after seeing over a dozen jakes the previous year and think man should be lots of two year olds this spring and guess what ? I would see multiple jakes again ! Never did figure that one out !
Thank You for your observations. That is what I have read also a one year old can breed but not successfully till second year.

Thank You again.
Old 02-03-2024, 05:19 PM
Spike

helo every one
Old 02-04-2024, 01:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

The jakes will breed if given the opportunity. This is one of the reasons why hunting toms in the spring doesn't significantly affect the population.
Old 02-04-2024, 03:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

While I’m no expert on this subject. It’s my understanding is that Jake’s will breed but will not produce anything. But, if you have a lot of jakes they will drive the older toms away. They will gang up on the older birds. At the same time if there’s a lot of bigger tom’s they will drive the jakes as well as each other away. So it comes down to ratio of which birds have the majority at that particular time. Also the big toms will move with the hens that are ready to breed so in my opinion and experience here it varies on the factors mentioned here. Good luck..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 02-05-2024 at 02:26 AM.
Old 02-04-2024, 03:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

keep the hens and kill the toms, more will come in the spring.

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 02-04-2024 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-04-2024, 03:56 AM
neb
Typical Buck

Thank You very much for your thoughts and views. I really do appreciate it very much. Everyone wants a mature bird to take, that can be an issue when it comes to harvesting birds while hunting season is open.

I guess will just see what happens this spring and allow hunting on number of mature birds I see. Some Jakes need to be harvested I would say for a healthy flock, but I don't know that for sure.
Old 02-05-2024, 02:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by neb
Thank You very much for your thoughts and views. I really do appreciate it very much. Everyone wants a mature bird to take, that can be an issue when it comes to harvesting birds while hunting season is open.

I guess will just see what happens this spring and allow hunting on number of mature birds I see. Some Jakes need to be harvested I would say for a healthy flock, but I don't know that for sure.
according to statistics out of every 100 gobbler chicks hatched, 2 live to be an adult 2 YO gobbler. jakes and toms do not get along so they will be separate from each other most of the year. Toms should be showing up with the hen flocks anytime now..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.