Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Veterans Hunt

Old 04-27-2022, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Default Veterans Hunt

Was able to help guide on a veterans hunt here in Oklahoma. 1st day winds blew 40s constant with gusts in the 50s. Terrible conditions but we sat most of the day with 0 sighting between the group. A few guys enjoyed the evening a little too much (including my hunter) and wouldn't get up for the morning hunt so I was told to get out there and see if I can knock one down.

While waiting and trying to get everyone up the early morning roost set came and went. Ended up getting out 30 min after sun up so a slow creep up a draw was in order with great young man and new friend they had videoing a bit of the hunt. We made our way about 1/2 mile down a draw stopping to call and talk along the way. Finally we figured we had covered enough and decided we would go back to the beginning of the draw were we found a few small open areas that had a little turkey sign but before we started the walk back I made one last yelp and 2 gobblers sounded off very close! We made a mad dash to set up and for him to get the camera on. While he was set almost on the game trail I was off to his right and a little ahead of him. Made 1 more light call they sounded off again and much closer.

There was a creek to my right and 1 of the gobblers had crossed following a hen and they were heading in as well while the second was right on the trail my new friend was sitting on. He could see him from the start while I didn't get a visual until he was about 40 yards out. This dude came in strutting the whole time and I never needed to make another call. Finally at about 4 steps I let him have face full of shot! Total time from scramble to success was right about 10 min. This ended up being my highest scoring bird and an extremely memorable moment! 21lb 6 oz, 1.25" and a 9.25" beard with a second 9" beard. By the way as a group we ended up taking 3 that day!!

Here is a link to the tactacam video. The other video is a ton better with more footage of the bird.
Attached Thumbnails Veterans Hunt-2022-doublebeard-resize.jpg   Veterans Hunt-2022ofoturkey-hunt-resize.jpg  
Old 04-30-2022, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
Was able to help guide on a veterans hunt here in Oklahoma. 1st day winds blew 40s constant with gusts in the 50s. Terrible conditions but we sat most of the day with 0 sighting between the group. A few guys enjoyed the evening a little too much (including my hunter) and wouldn't get up for the morning hunt so I was told to get out there and see if I can knock one down.

While waiting and trying to get everyone up the early morning roost set came and went. Ended up getting out 30 min after sun up so a slow creep up a draw was in order with great young man and new friend they had videoing a bit of the hunt. We made our way about 1/2 mile down a draw stopping to call and talk along the way. Finally we figured we had covered enough and decided we would go back to the beginning of the draw were we found a few small open areas that had a little turkey sign but before we started the walk back I made one last yelp and 2 gobblers sounded off very close! We made a mad dash to set up and for him to get the camera on. While he was set almost on the game trail I was off to his right and a little ahead of him. Made 1 more light call they sounded off again and much closer.

There was a creek to my right and 1 of the gobblers had crossed following a hen and they were heading in as well while the second was right on the trail my new friend was sitting on. He could see him from the start while I didn't get a visual until he was about 40 yards out. This dude came in strutting the whole time and I never needed to make another call. Finally at about 4 steps I let him have face full of shot! Total time from scramble to success was right about 10 min. This ended up being my highest scoring bird and an extremely memorable moment! 21lb 6 oz, 1.25" and a 9.25" beard with a second 9" beard. By the way as a group we ended up taking 3 that day!!

Here is a link to the tactacam video. The other video is a ton better with more footage of the bird.
https://youtu.be/cyxujUPw-N4
Well done Kelly
Old 05-01-2022, 05:01 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Yes well done@

I got to hunt OK in 04 and 05 at the Lt. Govenors hunt.

I had an awesome time.
Harvested 4 Rios too.

JW
Old 05-02-2022, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go! A job well done, for a job well done.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Thank Yall. The population is way down and there are rumors of a possible shut down of the turkey season for the next few years. Hopefully not but we shall see I suppose.
Old 11-10-2022, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Here is another video of the hunt with a different angle and much better quality.

Last edited by kellyguinn; 11-10-2022 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-13-2022, 07:48 AM
Spike

Nice story, thanks for sharing.