Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Merriams & Rios

Old 01-23-2021, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Merriams & Rios

If I was looking to go on a Merriams or Rio hunt, where would you go (best hunting, access, tag costs, reasonable guide services, etc.)? Self hunt or guided?? Don't think it is going to happen in immediate future, but a buddy or 2 and I may try to go sometime. Really want a fan with those lighter colors (these Eastern's are getting boring! ;-)
Old 01-23-2021, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the closest Rios to you are in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. Merriams look to be a little further away.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:47 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by elkman30
I think the closest Rios to you are in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas. Merriams look to be a little further away.
If you can get a spot in Texas it is sure fun chasing them in there where everthing either stings , picks, or bites you plus there is a good chance they are true Rios. Oh plus in Texas if it hasn't changed for around 100 bucks you can kill 4 turkeys ! Then you can hop over to New Mexico and chase real Merriams in the mountains there. Just bring oxygen and be ready for lots of uphill walking ! But hearing a Merriams gobble up in the Pines is amazing !!

Last edited by Timbrhuntr; 01-24-2021 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:27 AM
car
Typical Buck

I'll second hunting Rios in Texas. I went a few years ago and had a good time. Got 2 on the first day that I hunted them! This was a bonus because I was out there hunting Axis deer and had got one and was waiting on the meat to get processes. Yes my tag was good for 2 more Rios but ran out of time and had to leave. My avatar is from that hunt!

Last edited by car; 01-25-2021 at 03:30 AM.
Old 01-30-2021, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by car
I'll second hunting Rios in Texas. I went a few years ago and had a good time. Got 2 on the first day that I hunted them! This was a bonus because I was out there hunting Axis deer and had got one and was waiting on the meat to get processes. Yes my tag was good for 2 more Rios but ran out of time and had to leave. My avatar is from that hunt!
Where did you go? Guided or self hunt - if guided, who did you use??
Old 01-30-2021, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
Just bring oxygen and be ready for lots of uphill walking ! But hearing a Merriams gobble up in the Pines is amazing !!
Not sure I am in for the "needing O2" hunt or a lot of mountain climbing!! ;-)

Old 02-04-2021, 06:31 PM
Spike

Default Tur

Try Nebraska they have both and a hybrid in the same places. I got both on a guided hunt. It is very different than what I was used to here in the south. It was very wide open and different tactics but awesome hunt. Got one with bow and one with shotgun. They are very aggressive and come in fast ready to fight Shot both inside 10 yards. Guide said a lot of people miss up close. I called it self defense
Pm me I can get outfitter info

thanks

buck
Old 02-05-2021, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

What basic area did you hunt in Nebraska?
Old 02-10-2021, 03:10 PM
Spike

Default Turkey

Originally Posted by elkman30
What basic area did you hunt in Nebraska?

it was in sargent Nebraska. Don’t know if there is public land out there but I think it is mostly private property in the state. The guy I hunted with was great and it is a good spot if you are working on a slam. I hope to take the wife and go back in a year or two

thanks

buck
Old 02-16-2021, 05:44 AM
car
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by doughboysigep
Where did you go? Guided or self hunt - if guided, who did you use??
Well it was guided, sort of that is. I had posted on hunting forum that I would be axis hunting in Texas and it would be nice to hunt Rio turkey while I was out there! I guy that had a small ranch got ahold of me and offered up his place to turkey hunt. Had a great time and wished it wasn't so far so I could go back again!