Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey? No way!

Old 04-19-2020, 04:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Turkey? No way!

My wife and I were out on the patio here in FL doing some painting. Now we do have some woods around us but also a good bit of houses. Anyway about 11:00 this morning I heard some yelping out in our back maybe 100 yards away. My wife said "What's that"? That sounds like a turkey!!! We have hedges around the screened enclosure of our patio so I opened the screen door and peeked around the hedges. I didn't see anything at first. Then hearing the yelping again I looked and there was a crow on the neighbor's steel fence hollering away! I think this screwy bird was raised by turkeys! It sounded just like a hen.
Too funny....
Old 04-19-2020, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
My wife and I were out on the patio here in FL doing some painting. Now we do have some woods around us but also a good bit of houses. Anyway about 11:00 this morning I heard some yelping out in our back maybe 100 yards away. My wife said "What's that"? That sounds like a turkey!!! We have hedges around the screened enclosure of our patio so I opened the screen door and peeked around the hedges. I didn't see anything at first. Then hearing the yelping again I looked and there was a crow on the neighbor's steel fence hollering away! I think this screwy bird was raised by turkeys! It sounded just like a hen.
Too funny....
Maybe it got tired of turkeys answering its crow calls so decided to call like hen turkey because everyone knows if you call too much they won't answer because you educated them
Old 04-19-2020, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

crows and ravens have vocal cords and can reproduce sounds, even human sounds
its why Ravens are protected in many places, due to , many feel they have spirits in them

I was once on a hunt up in Alberta Canada, and one landed in a tree near me and kept says, HELLO, HELLO!
I thought I was loosing my mind, then talked to the outfitter and he told that raven was known in the area by all the locals and other hunters

on a side note, I knew a older guy, he had a crow as a pet bird and it said all sorts of things!

he also used to have pet skunks, and just had there scent glands or what ever removed
he told me they made great pets and, worked super well at keeping crooks away! LOL

Old 04-19-2020, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

I had a high school teacher that had pet Ravens that talked. Pretty cool birds. She had several emu too.

-Jake