Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hevi-shot

Old 11-05-2003, 08:38 PM

Default Hevi-shot

Curious if anyone made the switch to Hevi-shot last season. What is your opinion? Also---anybody know where you can buy a hevi-shot compatible turkey choke tube for a Mossberg 835 Ulti Mag? Anybody shoot Hevi-shot through a lead only choke?

I' m not sure I need to change my current set-up---just putting some " feelers" out.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:54 AM

Default RE: Hevi-shot

i changed to the 3.5x4 hevishot last spring in my 870 exp super mag.i normally used the rem super full tube but switched to the star dot.the pattern is awesome!i took my 3 bird limit last spring with 2 of them over 50 yards and they did not move after the shot.i am not concerned about the wear on the tube since i only shoot the gun 3 times a year.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Bob, my wife switched last year and used the Remingting 1 7/8 oz Hevi through the ulti-full Mossberg choke. She took 2 birds with it and the patterns at teh range were really good.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

I purchased Nitro Hevi-Shot from the Nitro Company. Their sells are criminally expensive but with their patterning, 3 1/2 shells and reccommended choke, I have been able to extend my comforatable killing range by 20 yards.

http://www.nitrocompany.com/pattern....ended%20shells
Old 11-06-2003, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

I' m with Robertsq. I' m taking the plunge, or letting Santa take the plunge, and popping for the Rhino tube and some Nitro Hevi-Shot. I' ll pay $4.50 per shell if it' s as good as I hear. Good thing I only shoot a few each year!
Old 11-06-2003, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

Tail Feathers: You will not be sorry, I was amazed at the range during patterning and so were all the shooters on the 50 yd line who witnessed what I was able to do at 50 yards with a SBE 24' with Rhino choke and thier reccommended 3 1/2 mag shells. Knocked a goose down dead as a door nail at 70 yards with one shot yesterday and my hunting buddies were in awe. BTW they kick a lot less than the Rem high brass Hevi-**** (which doesn' t really make that much sense to me). Considering the $$ I spend on hunting equipment and time involved, the Nitros are probably the investment with the highest return, and no I have no association with the Company whatsoever.

I was going to order some No. 4 Buck for coyotes from Nitro and bet that 50-60 yards will spell doom on them.

Good hunting, Robert
Old 11-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Robertsesq1, that' s exactly my thinking. I spend a considerable sum of money and time on good equipment and traveling for turkey hunting. Why scrimp when it comes time to drop the hammer? I don' t shoot that many shells per year and the Rhino choke is only $20 more than my second choice. So I eat at home instead of going out to lunch two days next week and I' ve saved the $20.
To ensure a clean kill and make the experience end well is worth the extra money to me.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I picked up a box to try out in my Rem 11-87. Haven' t had a chance to shoot a few rounds yet though. The price is intimidating.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I picked up the Rhino tube and Nitro loads last spring for my 1300 and I' m very impressed with the patterns out of my gun. I counted an honest 316 pellets in a 10" circle at a range of 38 yards. Awesome is more like it!! Nothing comes close to that pattern while using factory ammo!!
Old 11-11-2003, 06:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not only do they pattern great but their penetrating ability is awesome also, I did my own test, shooting a Win #5 at forty yards at a piece of white pine 3/4 lumber, they went just about 1/2 way thru it, the hevi-shot #5' s splintered the back of the board. I know they are kind of pricey, but look what it cost to shoot your bow?

Quick Reply: Hevi-shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.