Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tick Killer Spray

Old 03-29-2019, 02:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tick Killer Spray

Been using SAWYERS for years and it works, but it can be expensive......So I was told to try this, as it's the same chemical as SAWYERS....This will last a few years, I was told mix 2oz. to a gallon of water, and use it as you would SAWYERS. I purchased from Tractor Supply, but I had to order online and shipped FREE to my local store, cause they claim it's not sold in stores....It was under $11.00....
Attached Thumbnails Tick Killer Spray-55726487_10217069454801460_6585928080324296704_n.jpg  
Old 03-29-2019, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

Permetherin is the active ingredient in the sawyers stuff and many of the other tick sprays. I heard that it can be cheaper to by it like you have and make your own.

All I know is the stuff is worth its weight in gold when it comes to combating ticks. It works great. 1st year turkey hunting I didn't use anything. Didn't even think about ticks until I was sitting at the base of a tree and noticed hundreds of ticks tiny to small crawling on my boots and pants. I exited the woods that day.

Got the Permetherin spray and doused my clothes, boots, socks, hat etc. Not one tick on me the rest of the season and it does last for weeks on your clothes. You do not spray it on your skin though it doesn't work that way. I have not had any skin reactions to the spray on my clothing either.

I would recommend the stuff to any hunter going into tick country. Ticks are very dangerous now days with the nasty diseases they can carry.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:10 PM
Fork Horn

All I can say is to use some sort of tick repellent. I had Lyme disease a few years back and it really worked me over. Made legs and joints hurt to the point where I didn't want to walk or couldn't walk far and I felt worn out.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by redmag
All I can say is to use some sort of tick repellent. I had Lyme disease a few years back and it really worked me over. Made legs and joints hurt to the point where I didn't want to walk or couldn't walk far and I felt worn out.
Good advise. I had a friend who was paralyzed by it for a summer. Had to have his house modified with wider handicapped doors and a wheelchair ramp before he could come home from the hospital. He recovered eventually when he finally got the right antibiotics.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

doyourownpestcontrol.com has 36.8% permethrin, mix it 1.5 0z to the gallon, spray your hunting clothes, let it dry, also spiders in your crawl space, ants, anything with 6 or 8 legs. just use caution around honey bees.
https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.c...ermethrin-36-8
RR
Old 04-05-2019, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

The product I posted, simply works.....I mixed 1 oz of product to 26 oz of water, sprayed my clothing and allowed to air dry. I couldn't smell a odor and after coming out of the woods I not one tick on me
Old 04-05-2019, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting topic. Bowhunter, are you spraying just pants and a shirt or do you spray boots, socks, hat, etc.? I notice dhasemann sprays all of them and am curious about what level of clothes sprayed works best.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Interesting topic. Bowhunter, are you spraying just pants and a shirt or do you spray boots, socks, hat, etc.? I notice dhasemann sprays all of them and am curious about what level of clothes sprayed works best.
I get the surface of the clothing wet to the touch then let it dry per the instructions on the product I used. Then its good for 6 weeks or 6 washes it says.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I spray just my outter clothing wet to the touch allow to air dry
Old 04-05-2019, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks. I pickup up some Sawyers at a decent price at Wally World. We don't have much of a tick problem but it pays to stay ahead of this game.