Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Grit Question

Old 03-21-2019, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default Grit Question

Hey guys,

There is no source of grit on my property. Just looking for different ways to attract birds to my property without having to bait. I'm not sure what size gravel would be too big. I've thought of using pea gravel or maybe even sand, just didn't know if the pea gravel would be too big and the sand wouldn't be big enough. What have you guys used that has worked?
Old 03-21-2019, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

"Turkeys + grit = Love"

I think that whatever doves like might be the same for turkeys.

Don't know the size, or what might qualify as illegal baiting: Crushed eggshells or crushed oyster shells for calcium nutrients --- But it might have to be small enough for turkey poults to eat.

https://www.fertrell.com/blog/6-esse...aising-turkeys

Last edited by Erno86; 03-21-2019 at 08:04 AM. Reason: link work
Old 03-21-2019, 08:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Crushed eggshells wouldn't be worth anything as grit, grit needs substantial hardness to grind the food in the gizzard. We used crushed clam and oyster shells to make grit when we raised poultry, you can also buy grit at feed mills.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Erno86

I think that whatever doves like might be the same for turkeys.
For our dove fields, we use sand and the doves tear it up. Just didn't know if turkeys needed something larger because I assume their gizzard is much larger than a doves.

Last edited by BrushyPines; 03-21-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sand would be small for turkey, just go to the nearest feed mill and tell them you want a bag of grit.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Go to tractor supply and purchase a bag of grit. Just tell them what you are after and they should be able to set you up..
Old 03-21-2019, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used sacks of coarse aquarium sand for Dove and Pheasant. I shopped around until I found an acceptable price of $10 for 50 pounds. Most birds seem attracted to light (white) spots left in fairly open area.

Any Poultry supply is likely to have Turkey grit, Generally speaking, the larger the sack the cheaper the product. But like I said a light color seems to draw them quicker/better.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Crushed granite or oyster shells. You can get them both at Tractor Supply. The granite will be a little cheaper. I prefer the granite. Pea gravel will be a little too large.