Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
10 Gauge Hammer of Thor. >

10 Gauge Hammer of Thor.

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

10 Gauge Hammer of Thor.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default 10 Gauge Hammer of Thor.

Who all makes em anymore?Browning suppose to but no-one seems to stock Browning stuff.I,d love to have one.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why? a 12 gauge with a good choke will do anything a 10 gauge will do and the ammo is s lot less expensive.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

cheaper 12 ga vs 10 ga, ammo yes ,
10 ga guns tend to be heavier, true!
but if you reload its not nearly AS BAD,
a 10 ga , loaded correctly tends to throw a bit denser patterns, in my experience
yes individual guns and chokes vary but my ithaca MAG 10 certainly works rather well.
and if your looking for a turkey gun with a bit extra reach a 10 ga has potential
http://www.eregulations.com/wp-conte...18FLHD-LR2.pdf
google "mag 10 Ithaca shotgun for sale"

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...-choice.14296/

Last edited by hardcastonly; 03-11-2019 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

So does Ithaca still make 10's? Didn't know that. For the OP, you may have to have your local gun store special order a Browning 10.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rem /Browning , would be the one's I would look at
long time proven record and decent recoil design with them
But I fully echo what other's said, there is NO reason to use a 10 gauge for turkeys
or IMO a 3.5 inch 12 Ga either!
MY reason is a 10 gauge is a much heavier gun to have to carry about, sling or not, a long day in the woods with it chasing turkeys and its a trying deal
when you could be carrying a 12 gauge, that weight's less odds are shorter too, and have almost as good a pattern at same ranges
or under 50 yards which is honestly about anyone should need to to be shooting turkeys, with green up happening fast, odds are about all you can see to be honest LOL
ammo is more too, but if your reloading, its not as big a difference for sure
but your still dealing with a lot of EXTRA gun, than needed!~
if it makes you happy to use it, have at it LOL
we are all younger and dumber at times in our life's, so won't bash anyone if its what makes em happy!

Last edited by mrbb; 03-09-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

I,ve looked on Ithaca,s site in the past and never seen a 10 listed.I,ll have to go back and check.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

why not ask around among your friends and see if anyone owns a quality 10 ga and 12 ga they use,
and actually put a few targets up at 30- 40,-50,-60 yards ,
stick a few 2" orange sticky target dots to represent a turkeys head
and try a few shots, using each shotgun,from a typical seated position,
all using the same shot size, get a feel for each guns size weight and effective reach
(lets say #4 or #5 in several of the various shot guns/and gauges)
keep in mind an extra 10-15 yards can easily be the difference between success/failure
but you really should get those turkeys in under 35 yards when you can.
and you try hard to not shoot untill the targets well within your comfort range
thats basically , what I did decades ago, and why I prefer my ithaca mag 10.
sure it will cost you the price of a couple boxes of shells,
if the guys with the shotguns don,t kick in a few to use,
but youll deal in facts vs what some guy posting might say.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Remi...ads/739986.uts

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/ammo-10-gauge-hevi-shot-hevi-13-3-1-2-5-2-3-8-ounce-1090-fps-5-round-box-816383135051.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn&e cList=7&ecCategory=201499

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/ammo-10-gauge-winchester-supreme-high-velocity-turkey-3-1-2-4-copper-plated-2-ounce-1300-fps-10-round-box-020892013674.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn&e cList=7&ecCategory=201499

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/federal-grand-slam-10-gauge-ammunition-10-rounds-3-1-2-length-5-copper-plated-lead-2-ounce-flightcontrol-flex-wad-1200fps-604544628265.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn&e cList=7&ecCategory=201499

Last edited by hardcastonly; 03-11-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

GOB, here you go.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/953915982/Ithaca-Mag-10.htm
Old 03-10-2019, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

He didn't ask about the performance or what was best. Or a comparison with 12s. He asked who all made 10 gauges still.

I've carried a .410, a 20, 16,12&10 gauge for turkey. Also a crossbow and a compound. (Only taken turkeys with the 10,12&20 and crossbow so far)

Not because I thought any were superior to the other. But because that's what I felt like doing.

It's not all about what performs the "best". It really isn't. Sometimes people just want to use something that they are interested in.

i don't know who makes new 10 gauges currently, although I would suspect there are some out there. I know that locally I often see 10s, especially single shots, on the classifieds and used shelves. And they are a 'blast' to bring out at a party

-Jake
Old 03-10-2019, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
He didn't ask about the performance or what was best. Or a comparison with 12s. He asked who all made 10 gauges still.

I've carried a .410, a 20, 16,12&10 gauge for turkey. Also a crossbow and a compound. (Only taken turkeys with the 10,12&20 and crossbow so far)

Not because I thought any were superior to the other. But because that's what I felt like doing.

It's not all about what performs the "best". It really isn't. Sometimes people just want to use something that they are interested in.

i don't know who makes new 10 gauges currently, although I would suspect there are some out there. I know that locally I often see 10s, especially single shots, on the classifieds and used shelves. And they are a 'blast' to bring out at a party

-Jake
I agree with you, some times folks just want to be different or use something they just find interesting
BUT then again, some folks are NEW to things and don't know a lot about guns or hunting , when they start a tread
and I think many of us with a lot more experience, sometimes see thru this, based on how many posts/treads are worded and or the topic in question
forgive me if I am WRONG as I mean NO disrespect
BUT when a person comes on a forum asking WHO makes a 10 gauge, , being I owned a gun shop and been in the game a long time' I tend to right off think, MAYBE they are new and don;t know much about guns
as the world wide web is out there these days, and about anyone can google a search and find makers!
and most again experienced gun owners/ shooters and hunters know how to find this info without asking for help on a forum
AGAIN, NO disrespect meant here, it just an example of how some times things like this can be viewed, and well, then answers to the question at hand get sort of side tracked,
as the more experienced folks THINK they can maybe help the OP in a different way and thus offer info, they maybe didn;t ask for, BUT maybe they would still appreciate!

I gave both., I said you can sure shoot what ever you like, and good for you
and also gave other advice/suggestions, as well as WHO makes one's I would recommend

IF the OP cannot get and or find a BROWNING at HIS local shop/gun store
again there is the world wide web to turn to
and if you look online you will find they for sale, and ALL he has to do is FIND a dealer, and have HIS dealer contact them and THEY can get him the gun
maybe he again doesn't know this
which again, would to ME< again say, they are some what new to things an don't know this info, which again says maybe MAYBE , they have less than a lot of experience here!
I don't think ANYONE here replied to the OP's post with any disrespect meant, and ONLY replied hoping they could HELP the OP
as again,a 10 gauge is heavy, and costs a LOT more $$, when the gains are SMALL in shooting a turkey over a 12 gauge!

I too have killed turkeys with a LOT of different gauges/calibers and archery gear, what I like, doesn't mean to me anyone else has to like, and vise versa!
I will LASTLY add, that it is NOT only the gauge and or LOAD that makes one gun shoot a better pattern than another
so JUST shooting say 10 ga and 12 ga at targets will NOT really tell you anything
just like rifles, some guns prefer different loads than others and shoot tighter groups due to the one they like
and THEN there is CHOKES< there are MANY different chokes in shotguns, from factory to custom, that can MAKE a BIG difference in how a shotgun patterns at different distances!
I added the last info, in case one doesn';t know this, NOT to be forcing info on anyone or getting off topic, its just GOOD honest INFO for anyone that reads this!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.