Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Patterns with new choke tubes & Win LB XR shells >

Patterns with new choke tubes & Win LB XR shells

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Patterns with new choke tubes & Win LB XR shells

Old 01-28-2019, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Patterns with new choke tubes & Win LB XR shells

Here's some shots from a patterning session 10days ago. My turkey boomers ( a SBE II and Win 1300) now sport Carlson's XR chokes. My friend, Bobby and I hiked into a game mgt area (Makua Keeau GMA, of you know the islands) for the session. Our first shots were from 25-26" yds with Win LB XR 3" #4. (black targets) Then we backed up to 40.

We also tested some old (20+ yrs) 3.5" Win XX Supremes #4 I had. We shot the SBE II at 40yds. (white targets). My SBE II is a LH action, set up for lefty shooter, which may explain the difference between our targets.

L to R: SBE II at 26yds, Win 1300 AAT 26yds, shells, SBE II 3.5" (Joe), SBE II 3.5" (Bobby)
Attached Thumbnails Patterns with new choke tubes & Win LB XR shells-lb-xr-26yds-sbeii.jpg   Patterns with new choke tubes & Win LB XR shells-lb-xr-26yds-win-1300.jpg   Patterns with new choke tubes & Win LB XR shells-shells-we-shot.jpg   Patterns with new choke tubes & Win LB XR shells-3half-joe-1st.jpg   Patterns with new choke tubes & Win LB XR shells-3half-bobby-2nd.jpg  

Last edited by JoeA; 01-28-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Joe -

Not to put a damper on your high hopes - but there are ~240 pellets in a 1 3/4 oz #4 LB shell. You should be seeing 50-60% of the payload hit the target between 25-30 yards, so 120-140 hits in your paper. You've got a decent pattern and the bird is dead, but the pattern you see in your second target is what many guys are seeing at 40 (+) yards.

I recommend you try switching size - shoot a couple #5 or #6. I always used #6 until last year, when I grabbed a box of #5 by mistake. I shot the #5 and to my surprise had a much better pattern at all distances from 10 to 50 yards (and #4 LB was the worst out of my gun). My wife used it to drop a nice 3yr old at 51 steps, and he barely flinched...

S&R
Old 02-12-2019, 02:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice patterns. All of those targets are dead turkeys. I'm a big fan of #4 Winchester shells myself. You may not get the impressive hit counts that smaller shot will deliver, but each of those #4 pellets packs a wallop that smaller shot can't deliver, especially at longer ranges.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Those are all dead turkeys. I use a Mossberg 535 with a Carlson XR choke and Winchester XR #5's. The XR's are the best turkey shell on the market in my opinion. I have taken a turkey at 50+ yards the last 2 years. Both were downed immediately. Close shots are actually more difficult because the pattern is so tight out to 25 yards.