Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Finding a good spot to turkey hunt >

Finding a good spot to turkey hunt

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Finding a good spot to turkey hunt

Old 03-27-2018, 07:14 PM
Spike

Default Finding a good spot to turkey hunt

I live in northeastern Pennsylvania and i've been hunting for a while now but I have never gone turkey hunting before. I have permission from a land owner that I know to go hunting deer, squirrel, rabbit, dove, and a few more but he said that I should try turkey hunting. So I was asking him if he has seen any turkeys on his land and he said its been a couple of years and since I haven't seen or heard turkeys for the about 3 or 4 years that i've been hunting on his property I would like to know some tips and tricks of knowing where a turkey is since im a turkey killing virgin.

Last edited by Sandman7322; 03-27-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are there turkeys on nearby properties? Check open fields within a few miles of where you hunt. From your description of the small game on the place, it doesn't sound like you're dealing with coyotes / predators running turkeys off the place. Freshly tilled fields and controlled burn sites are great places to watch for turkeys.

Check with your local DNR or county ag extension agents. Also, delivery drivers and sheriff's dept might be able to provide info on where they're seeing turkeys. (although some guys get tight lipped on which fields they see big bucks on)

Nothing beats getting out there before sunrise and listening. Check dirt/ fire roads for tracks & droppings. Even old droppings help confirm that turkeys were there.

If you can plant some chufa...turkeys love that stuff.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

If they were there before then there is a good chance they will be back. I'd go out a few good mornings and listen.