Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
New choke tune in SBEII - Great results >

New choke tune in SBEII - Great results

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New choke tune in SBEII - Great results

Old 03-16-2018, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New choke tune in SBEII - Great results

Last spring, I took a friend on his first spring hunt. He was interested in getting a SBE, so I brought my SBE II as a loaner. I only had a full choke for it, but with Win. XR shells, it worked.
Later, I picked up a Carlson's choke tube for my Benelli.

Two weeks ago, we tested it before our trip. With 3" Win XR #5....DANG! At 50yds, it spit some mean metal down range.

I'm a big fan of the hevi stuff, but don't like the cost. These days my kool-aid is flavored with Longbeard XR these days.

Do any of you guys shooting Win Longbeard XR have a choke tube that worked well in your gun?

Last edited by JoeA; 03-16-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:45 AM
Fork Horn

i'm pretty happy w/carlson .660 in rem 1187 26" -12 , @ 40 yds i'd say 90% was in a 14" circle .. no exaggeration .. i have no need to,, that is w/ the win longbeard 3" # 5's.. i honestly think there is something to that process in the LB XR
Old 03-19-2018, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've tried 6+ after-market chokes in my Ithaca. The best patterns I can get are with the Carlson tubes, either the X-full (that came with the gun) or with the Carlson LongBeard XR (.660).

I have not tried an Indian Creek, and probably won't unless I can find one on clearance somewhere. I'm killing birds with the LB choke at 50+ yards in open fields, I can't see needing better...
Old 03-21-2018, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I recommend Sumtoy Custom Chokes. I have tried them in multiple guns, and they have consistently given me my best patterns, regardless of ammo used. Super nice guy, to boot, that William. Give him a look. Call him up and he will help you out.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

I've had a Primos Jellyhead in mine for years.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got home from a quick trip to Oregon, work and family. The Tualatin Cabelas hit me in the wallet! but it's a good pain

I grabbed a Carlson's XR choke tube for my Win 1300. And 5 boxes of Win Longbeard XR on sale, so I'm set for a while. Hopefully, I get patterns similar to my Benelli.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:04 PM
CGD
Spike

Originally Posted by Strut&Rut
I've tried 6+ after-market chokes in my Ithaca. The best patterns I can get are with the Carlson tubes, either the X-full (that came with the gun) or with the Carlson LongBeard XR (.660).

I have not tried an Indian Creek, and probably won't unless I can find one on clearance somewhere. I'm killing birds with the LB choke at 50+ yards in open fields, I can't see needing better...
A friend of mine came out to the house last weekend to pattern his gun after picking up an Indian Creek tube. I wasn't super impressed at 40 yards, the pattern was ok with the XR and XR magnum but it was pretty directional, one load shot 6 inches right the other load shot 6 inches left and low.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:52 AM
Spike

Funny how guns have their own personality when it comes to loak/choke combo. I spent hundreds, and I mean hundreds, of $ chasing the pattern game a few years ago and really enjoyed the whole process (except the prices of course). Interesting enough, out of a new 1300 and new Remy latest/greatest, nothing held a candle to my 40 year old Winchester Ranger pump with Indian Creek and Hevi.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:45 AM
Dominant Buck

I have an older SBE and sent it to Ballistic Specialties for some smithing and had them make me a .660 custom turkey choke. At 40 yards with hevi shot mag blend I get a very impressive pattern almost all inside a 14" circle. Would still be good at 60 but that is beyond where I would shoot.