Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Load Set-Up

Old 01-23-2018, 08:54 AM
Spike

Default Load Set-Up

Currently trying turkey hunting out for the first time. I have a Winchester SXP 12 gauge (2 3/4, 3), with a Primos choke (XX Full). Any ideas on a good ammunition to try first when patterning it? Thanks for your help.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:35 AM
Spike

I would suggest #5s, 3" for the extra bang. Would not do #4 through XXFull. Don't know the gun but you may need to acquire at least several ammo types / brands and see what patters best.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look at whatever load the Primos crew use. That'll probably give you a good place to start.

I shoot a Win 1300 with a XXFull CompNChoke tube. It works well with 3" Win Supreme #5 copper plated lead. But the CompNChoke website indicates that XXX is the better constriction for 3" #5 shot. Test a few different brands, if you can. The holes in your target won't lie.

BUT...Win Longbeard XR is my new favorite poison.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:14 AM
Fork Horn

Not sure about your gun and choke matchup. Before you spend a bunch of $, do a google search for your combo.

There is a shell that works best with every combo, lots of factors to consider.

I shoot Heavy Shot Mag Blend.

Good luck
Old 01-24-2018, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

With that gun and choke you can likely kill a bird with any 3inch #4, #5 or #6 shot out to 30 yards and with modern turkey loads take one easily at 40. The patterning and preferred shotshell combo really matter for shots under 20 (when most turkey loads resemble a golf ball) and those over 40.

I give that intro because you can choose a single box of modern turkey ammo off any shelf, take a few shots to get a 'feel for it' - and then most likely kill a turkey with a well-placed shot under 40 yards. I'm sure some of my fellow board members will cringe when they read those thoughts, but IMO it's just the reality of modern weapons and ammo is that they really are that good. Knowing the pattern is still critical for success, especially when you misjudge distance by 10 yards, but not as critical as it was 20 years ago...

You'll get various answers to your questions, largely because most of us have found a 'special ammo' or something that just consistently shoots well out of multiple guns.

Personally, I prefer any of the Winchester ammo. I've shot them with good patterns and success from a Mossberg, a Winchester, a Weatherby, and an Ithaca. I'm currently using Winchester Longbeard XR in my 12ga Ithaca, last year's bird was dropped cold at almost 55 steps. Hevi-shot triple beard blend performs great in my son's 20 Weatherby with a Hevi-shot choke, but it doesn't have enough killing power past 40 yards - and all my other guns shoot it like crud.

If I was new to turkey hunting and had no baseline, I would probably start with the cheapest Winchester #6 shot you can find - probably either Double X or Supreme. If it's got a scope that you need to zero, you can even start with #8 target load to get it relatively centered. It's typically about $1 per shell or maybe less. If it patterns well, and you're worried about shooting birds at longer distance, then the Longbeard XR will likely pattern almost the same as the Double X and extend your range by 15-20 yards.

Note that pellet size is largely personal preference - obviously you will typically have a denser pattern with #6 than #4, but the kinetic energy is greater per pellet with the larger shot. With that said, any of the newer loads - the 3inch Longbeard XR or the Hevi-shot lines - will consistently kill birds at all shot sizes out to 50-60 yards if the gun patterns well (hence, my comment about pattern mattering for longer shots)...
Old 01-24-2018, 02:43 PM
Spike

Do a google search to be sure. I agree with JoeA that you should consider looking at whatever load the primos use and make sure your combo work together in perfect form. https://outdoorempire.com/guide-to-best-crossbows/
Old 01-25-2018, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

When patterning that gun, don't forget to also use the factory choke tube. I'm not sure which model you have, but the Longbeard SXP seems to shoot the Longbeard XR pretty well with the factory setup (article linked below). With that said - the Carlson choke that came stock with my Ithaca was the best choke I could find until I found an after-market Carlson Longbeard XR choke tube in Cabela's Bargain Cave...

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...beard-shotgun/

Last edited by Strut&Rut; 01-26-2018 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:23 AM
Spike

"
Note that pellet size is largely personal preference - obviously you will typically have a denser pattern with #6 than #4, but the kinetic energy is greater per pellet with the larger shot"

I am under the impression that a super tight choke will give a more consistent pattern in a more circular shape with smaller pellets. However, it stands to reason that fewer heavier pellets in the kill zone are needed than with smaller pellets. You def. get more terminal distance with heavier loads. I shoot #4s but out of a much more open choke than xxf. That said, as you pointed out, you have to be careful with missing completely when using xxf at 20 yards or less (I have personal experience with this)
Old 01-27-2018, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

I myself shoot Federals. They preform the best from My Mossberg. I agree you should try different shells and find which preforms best from your gun.