Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Newbie - Solo Fall Turkey Hunt (new area) >

Newbie - Solo Fall Turkey Hunt (new area)

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Newbie - Solo Fall Turkey Hunt (new area)

Old 11-01-2017, 11:11 AM
Spike

Default Newbie - Solo Fall Turkey Hunt (new area)

Hi all,

I'm looking for a little bit of help / advice.

I got into Turkey hunting a few years back mainly due to my father-in law. I have downed three Turkey's in my life - 2 spring gobblers, and 1 Fall Jake.

I was successful with this hunting on some family land. This season, we were told that we wanted to have a break of shooting turkeys on my father in laws land, so I'm out venturing into other public land in SW Wisconsin, along with a small plot of land from a co-worker.

I work 40hrs a week, and I can't take a quick drive to this area as it takes a while to get to from the city. (and the fact that I work weird hospital hours)

Anyways, the times I have gotten out this fall to my friends land (3 already), I haven't seen or heard a thing. I do know that there were Turkey's here last spring as I saw/heard them when I first went out to this new area.

I guess I'm looking for advice on what to do with a new area. I understand that Fall birds aren't gonna be gobbling too much.. but I would have thought I would have seen some flocks in the corn fields, etc.

I don't have a blind or decoys, and am 'running and gunnin' - or more like walking around with a few calls, but not seeing a thing.

Should I just keep trying and be patient? It's just annoying now that I haven't seen a dang bird.

Thanks.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

personally I think if you kill a fall turkey, it will be pure luck because you need to learn a bunch about the lifecycle of turkeys in the fall but here goes.
find sign, if its hens/young sign give the lost call on a box call (my preference in the fall) if you get an answer your in the game, (hint, look for wild grapes, turkeys love them, they'll hit cut corn fields on rainy days) call like a dominant hen if you get a response, gobblers in the fall will drive you insane!
RR
Old 12-29-2017, 07:18 AM
Spike

Sigz,

There is no substitute for time spent in the woods.

If you are moving much, they'll spot you before you see them, so I would recommend still hunting in areas that you suspect they frequent. As you spend more time on the property, you'll pattern them. Besides fields, birds frequent ridges & creek bottoms or anywhere with acorns.

Scott
Old 12-29-2017, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

A few things you need is be aware of, know your area, patience and turkeys have spring feeding areas and fall feeding areas.