Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Expanding my area ... ?

Old 04-21-2017, 01:55 AM
Spike

Default Expanding my area ... ?

I am new to the turkey hunt (first year in fact). I have been out walking and learning about 5 times already (will be all public) and have heard many turkeys and saw a group of about 7 earlier this week. I am starting to get the hang of the area I have been scouting and at least feel more confident in my tactics and ability. The problem with this area is that it is closed most of the week to hunting leaving only a couple of days. I am have been trying to find more areas that I can hunt any day that I am free. The forest lands are vast and I have no idea where to start. I am in northern colorado.

I was hoping that someone could possibly help me out with areas near fort collins that I could head out and start figuring out that would have birds? I also had a few questions with my current situation. Is there a preferred way to call birds (better to call from above them in elevation and make them walk up or down)? What is the consensus on decoys, (order, number, sex)?

That is all that I had in mind that I just did not know and could not find much information on. Any help is appreciated! Anything else that you can think of that would benefit a new hunter would be put to good use. Post here or a PM. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:57 AM
Spike

I hunt in probably the flattest place in America, but as a general rule, set up uphill of them and call them up

If it's dense timber, lose the decoys. Otherwise, good luck and hopefully someone who doesn't get altitude sickness riding an escalator can give you more info
Old 04-21-2017, 08:04 AM
Spike

Thank you! There is a lot of fast change in altitude where I am at for sure. My house sits at about 5,000 feet, my last scouting trip was only 3-5 miles away and I was at about 6,500 to 7,000 feet. That helps a lot though, thanks again!