Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Black Hills Opener

Old 03-16-2017, 11:09 AM
Spike

Default Black Hills Opener

Anybody going to be around the Black Hills in SD for opening week this year?
Old 03-20-2017, 11:27 AM
Spike

Yep, hoping for weather as nice as last year's opening week. First time in nearly 10 years I didn't see snow opening week.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:13 PM
Spike

Really?! I was out the the last week of the season and it snowed on us. What's the hunting like at the beginning? They seemed very wild when I was there.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:13 AM
Spike

Been there the last week of season and hunted in 6" of snow so you just never can tell but, as a general rule, the weather is gonna suck the opening week. I only prefer to go then because I can get an early start at them since WV opens the following week. If it clears up right after a storm the snow doesn't bother them much but if it stays wet/dreary it tends to shut them down. The opener often does seem a bit too early for the best action, large flocks and tougher to call in.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:30 AM
Spike

We will see. I figured they'd be a little easier to find early on in the season. Last year in May you could tell they had been schwacked pretty hard and it seemed like they never wanted to come off of the top of those hills. We all got our bird but it was definitely harder than I expected it to be.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Here is WVDanimal South Dakota opener bird. Congrats great bird
Attached Thumbnails Black Hills Opener-14073.jpg   Black Hills Opener-14078.jpg