Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Public land Paranoia.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

I don't hunt any public land anymore , I was shot when I was 18 because someone got anxious and didn't identify what they was shooting at , I was lucky , so I lease property and have for several years I know who is on it and where and I've had safe places for my kids to grow up hunting ... But hunted public a lot back in my 20s I always roosted my birds got in early and call less most hunters call way to much on older birds it works fine on two year olds , if I heard another hunter I'd always back out and come back later if I didn't hear any shooting... good luck and be safe
Old 03-15-2017, 01:15 PM
Spike

You must have a lot more reasonable public land hunters there than I have here. That's about all I can say about that.
Originally Posted by Swamp_slayer
Hunting public land in florida is much like out west where the best strategy is to lace up the boots and put some miles on them. You have to find those spots that hardly anyone wants to walk that far to. Why pull the tape? All you're doing is trying to ruin someone else spot that they found? It is called public land for a reason and contrary to popular belief...you WILL be hunting with other people around you. Yes it is annoying and yes some of them do not know their head from their A$$, but that's the beauty of it. I hunted Kissimmee River back when it was the heaviest hunted place for turkeys in the state and you couldn't go 100 yards without stepping onto another person and the same strategy of walking those long miles paid off and we all killed our birds every year. And instead of trying to take other hunters' tape and reflective pieces maybe try talking to them at the truck and strategize with them..."Hey you go this side of the head and I'll go this side?" Who knows you might find a new hunting partner in the meantime?
Old 03-16-2017, 12:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

It will make a turkey hunter out of ya
Old 03-16-2017, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

Other hunters are part of the challenge of public land. Gotta deal with them and figure out a way to fill the tag.
-Jake
Old 03-16-2017, 02:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

The question to ask is: Is your hunt and the quarry you're after worth the public land effort. If your safety is always in question, that's one thing. Otherwise, if public land was all I had, I wouldn't-and haven't-let someone else ruin it or prevent me.