Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Turkey Noob Needs Advice >

Turkey Noob Needs Advice

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Noob Needs Advice

Old 03-03-2017, 08:27 AM
Spike

Default Turkey Noob Needs Advice

Long time hunter, total newbie when it comes to turkeys. Just bought 20 GA Rem 870 Exp. Now shopping for ammo and choke tube. The guy in this 2009/05/bourjaily-my-20-gauge-turkey-gun article recommends Federals Flitecontrol Heavyweight ammunition, holding a full 1 1/ 2 ounces of very dense tungsten-iron 6 shot in Federal's Flitecontrol wad and Hunters Specialties Undertaker choke tube. Any and all advice greatly appreciated by this newcomer to the turkey game.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every shotgun is a law onto itself. It's virtually impossible to predict with any degree of certainty that a particular load or brand of load will pattern best in your gun with your choke. You'll need to try different combinations for yourself. For instance, my gun will pattern #4's pretty much the same as #6's, but I can't find any #5 loads that will pattern consistently at all. I also learned my gun definitely patterns better with a clean barrel. So, at the range, I swab out my barrel between shots to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples. There is no shortcut to doing the homework.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

You need to go to oldgobbler.com and they have an excellent forum spot for different guns, chokes, shells, ect. It will help you directed in the right direction with hunters who have already tried the different combo's. Ya not all guns shoot the same but this place is great and takes some of the guess work out of it, plus chokes aren't cheap. They can answer you questions.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by turkey harvester
You need to go to oldgobbler.com and they have an excellent forum spot for different guns, chokes, shells, ect. It will help you directed in the right direction with hunters who have already tried the different combo's. Ya not all guns shoot the same but this place is great and takes some of the guess work out of it, plus chokes aren't cheap. They can answer you questions.
X2. Definitely put you in the right direction.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:14 PM
Spike

Default Thanks

I will check out oldgobbler.com. MANY THANKS!
Old 03-03-2017, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Grogger
Long time hunter, total newbie when it comes to turkeys. Just bought 20 GA Rem 870 Exp. Now shopping for ammo and choke tube. The guy in this 2009/05/bourjaily-my-20-gauge-turkey-gun article recommends Federals Flitecontrol Heavyweight ammunition, holding a full 1 1/ 2 ounces of very dense tungsten-iron 6 shot in Federal's Flitecontrol wad and Hunters Specialties Undertaker choke tube. Any and all advice greatly appreciated by this newcomer to the turkey game.
Here's some advice I think is pretty good for about every thing.

If you are starting something new and need to ask advice, do your asking FIRST, then do your buying stuff.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

Ditch the 6's and go with the 7's...denser pattern and has the same energy as lead 5's. Look into TruLock chokes.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

I know you already bought a 20 gauge, in my opinion the Remington 870 express magnum 12guage with a rhino .660 (if I remember right ) is a better choice. Great pattern out to 50 yards although I never needed to kill a Turkey out that far. Super tight pattern at 30 and nice and tight at 40. I have no Turkey experience with a 20 gauge.