Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

#4 shot

Old 01-29-2017, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default #4 shot

Do yall think shootin #4 3"shot with a full choke in a 12 gauge is a good choice. Ive heard alot bout mag blends and what not but would just regular ol #4 federals work to a distance of bout 40 yards. Just bought my mosberg today so tryin to figure out what shells to start with
Old 01-29-2017, 02:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

You start out by buying several brands of shot shells in several shot sizes and put up a patterning target and shoot at the ranges you expect to shoot. No one can tell you which shells and which shot size will work best in your gun. Doing that is part of turkey hunting. I prefer smaller shot size # 6 because it has a denser pattern but you have to find your own best fodder for your gun. Do not simply go by what others tell you to use. Short cuts are generally not the best way to go.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

What Oldtimr mentioned is exactly the way you should go BEFORE ever hitting the field! I prefer #6 shot for the same reason Oldtimr mentioned and it has plenty of poop to kill a turkey out at 40 yards or better if your gun shoots a tight pattern that can put a bunch or pellets in the head/neck area.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
You start out by buying several brands of shot shells in several shot sizes and put up a patterning target and shoot at the ranges you expect to shoot. No one can tell you which shells and which shot size will work best in your gun. Doing that is part of turkey hunting. I prefer smaller shot size # 6 because it has a denser pattern but you have to find your own best fodder for your gun. Do not simply go by what others tell you to use. Short cuts are generally not the best way to go.
104 thanks oldtimr
Old 01-29-2017, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I switched over to Winchester XR's in #4's last year, and have been very pleased with the results out of my gun/choke combo. Think Winchester hit a home run with these new shells and there patterning abilities at longer ranges. Cost wise, they are much better on your wallet too. Still wanna try a box of 1 7/8 oz. of #4's yet before this coming season to see how they do.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

As you now know.......................

Select the range you expect 80% of your shots will be, and let the patterning board tell you which load & choke works best.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by maytom
I switched over to Winchester XR's in #4's last year, and have been very pleased with the results out of my gun/choke combo. Think Winchester hit a home run with these new shells and there patterning abilities at longer ranges. Cost wise, they are much better on your wallet too. Still wanna try a box of 1 7/8 oz. of #4's yet before this coming season to see how they do.
Im a huge fan of winchester for my deer loads and kinda wanna give winchester my money for turkey loads because theyve always been a fair price and reliable. Ill have to look at gettin a box of the XRs
Old 02-02-2017, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

My '80's vintage BPS 12 ga, with the old "invector" style Undertaker tube will pattern just about any Win. #4 turkey load as well as just about any #6 turkey load. It'll pattern the XR #4's better than anything. Won't pattern any #5's consistently at all.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:24 AM
Fork Horn

Oldtimr is right, it's hard to just tell you what shells and choke to use, EVERY shotgun is going to pattern differently. I will say, if you want to bypass all of the time spent looking for shells and chokes and wear and tear on your shoulder (and the costs involved), send your gun to Rob Roberts in Arkansas. He'll get you dialed in.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

My 80's era BPS with no screw-in choke, just a full choke barrel loved the Federal Premium copper coated pellets in size 4. I sold it several years ago and was it still working over birds on my last use of it. As said before, the gun will tell you what it likes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.