HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Mossberg 500 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/409850-mossberg-500-a.html)

FlaBoy18 11-07-2016 09:07 AM

Mossberg 500

I am fixin to buy my first turkey gun and i am strapped on money but found a mossberg 500 pump for sale for pretty cheap. If i put a good choke
On it can i be effective huntin turkeys with a 500? Or should i spend a little
More and buy a nova? What choke wud u suggest for a 500?

Topgun 3006 11-07-2016 12:53 PM

No reason the 500 you can buy won't be a good turkey slayer. Buy a name brand turkey choke that will fit it and go to the range to see how far it will hold a good, tight pattern that will kill your bird with a head/neck shot with good turkey loads. You may have to do some experimenting to see what it likes best and then keep the range you shoot reasonable to humanely take a bird with it. Good luck!

cr422 11-07-2016 02:11 PM

Mossberg 500 is a good gun. I have used one for years. I even have a rifled slug barrel and a muzzleloader barrel for mine. I don't know if you can still get those.

My wife uses a 20 ga. Had to have it cut down for her 'cause she's really small.

RPD63 11-07-2016 02:55 PM

Nothing wrong with the 500. Top gun gave you some good advice. Where you at in Pasco? I'm in south Pasco myself.

FlaBoy18 11-07-2016 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by RPD63 (Post 4280029)
Nothing wrong with the 500. Top gun gave you some good advice. Where you at in Pasco? I'm in south Pasco myself.

South pasco as well! Holiday

FlaBoy18 11-07-2016 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 (Post 4280009)
No reason the 500 you can buy won't be a good turkey slayer. Buy a name brand turkey choke that will fit it and go to the range to see how far it will hold a good, tight pattern that will kill your bird with a head/neck shot with good turkey loads. You may have to do some experimenting to see what it likes best and then keep the range you shoot reasonable to humanely take a bird with it. Good luck!

Thank you for your help! I found a 500 at walmart for $254. I cant pass that up.

Arrowmaster 11-08-2016 05:33 AM

I use a Mossberg 500 to turkey hunt. Best gun Ive owned. Ive killed over 50 turkeys with it. As for the choke, I use the factory XXfull turkey choke. Ive tried other chokes but none compare with the factory. Longest shot Ive taken on a turkey was 50 yards and it dropped him. You wont go wrong with a Mossberg 500

FlaBoy18 11-08-2016 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Arrowmaster (Post 4280113)
I use a Mossberg 500 to turkey hunt. Best gun Ive owned. Ive killed over 50 turkeys with it. As for the choke, I use the factory XXfull turkey choke. Ive tried other chokes but none compare with the factory. Longest shot Ive taken on a turkey was 50 yards and it dropped him. You wont go wrong with a Mossberg 500

Thanks for your advice. Where would i buy the factory choke? Should i look on mossbergs website?

Uncle Nicky 11-08-2016 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by FlaBoy18 (Post 4280128)
Thanks for your advice. Where would i buy the factory choke? Should i look on mossbergs website?

This is the tough part. There's no way of telling for sure what choke is going to throw the best pattern, you have to try different chokes and turkey shells to figure out the best combination out of your shotgun. You SHOULD do OK if you buy a Kick's choke, Carlson choke, or Primos Jelly Head, but if you are looking for optimal results, you'll probably have to experiment a little. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

FlaBoy18 11-08-2016 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky (Post 4280150)
This is the tough part. There's no way of telling for sure what choke is going to throw the best pattern, you have to try different chokes and turkey shells to figure out the best combination out of your shotgun. You SHOULD do OK if you buy a Kick's choke, Carlson choke, or Primos Jelly Head, but if you are looking for optimal results, you'll probably have to experiment a little. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

10/4 ill have to do a lil trail error run