Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hey Y'all

Old 05-30-2016, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hey Y'all

The old man's still got it, textbook turkey hunt, everything went wrong he died anyway
meet #177

but am now on #179
RR
Old 05-30-2016, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Careful, he is catching you!
Old 05-31-2016, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!!! 177 birds? I'm guessin if so that's a lot of turkeys!!!
Old 05-31-2016, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

nice bird... congrats... now that's a lot of turkeys!!!
Old 05-31-2016, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah, used to ate up with hunting them, hunted 3 states a year. The reason I've religiously kept count is that when I was about 9 years old, my uncle set me down and showed me in my grandma's journal where she documented my granddad's 100th, my granddad died in 1950, 10 years before I was born, my uncle passed in 1970, He told me "you'll live a long life, hunt a lot and won't even come close to 100. well at 13 I killed my first fall turkey, at 18 I killed my first spring gobbler,my uncle never anticipated the population explosion we had which increased bag limits.all through the 80's and 90's I was tagging out in 2-3 states, spring and fall seasons, even now almost 40 years into this game, the turkeys are still teaching me.
RR
Old 06-01-2016, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job RR! It sounds like your are seriously infected with the fever.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Wowza....179!!!!! That's a bunch for sure....Congrats!!!
Old 06-01-2016, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Textbook turkey hunt: Everything went wrong. Yep, that about sums it up! Nice bird.
-Jake
Old 06-01-2016, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

took a buddy out on land he had permission to hunt, have called several up for him in the past, last year I called a real good gobbler right up through a field, he was coming in on a string and he took the shot....at 70 yards.
so we were in the same spot, exactly, I call and get a response, I send him 40 yards toward the bird to set up, I get behind a large oak and start clucking, the bird fires up, a double flydown cackle and the bird goes spastic, he's coming! the bird is due east of us, 70 yards down over the brow of the hill, then he starts walking north as he gobbles, then turns heads south he shuts up, that tells me he is covering ground so I wait. 40 minutes later he gobbles due south, I knew at that moment a fence had taken the opportunity away for my buddy to get a shot, setting in the wide open I shouldered my valmet and waited, calling very sparingly and very low.
20 minutes later I see the edge of his fan at 60 yards, he struts back and forth for another 15 minutes, as I dare not move a muscle.
He breaks out of the strut and walks to 42 yards (here is where it gets good, it also gets almost unbelievable) I can see him just along the edge of a tree, his head goes from looking straight at me to full profile, I was busted and knew it, I put the crosshair of the 2.5x8 loopy on his head and mash the trigger and send 2 0z of fed 6's his way. as he spins he looks like he's going down but makes it out of sight in 2 steps.
I get up and walk to where he was standing at the shot....nothing, I set my gun down to mark the spot and walk in the direction I feel he would have went, looking for feathers as I walk, 20 yards, 30, then at 40 yards I have still seen nothing, then I look out 40 yards away and there he stands.....just standing there,amd I'm like "WTH" I walk back to the tree get my gun, reload the shotgun barrel and walk back to the spot, He's still standing there, not looking, just standing there, so another 2 oz fed. anchors him.
my only guess is he was hit hard and brain swelling locked him up in neutral
RRl