Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Cold drizzle stinks!

Old 05-08-2016, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cold drizzle stinks!

Took a couple days off work to turkey hunt with my wife.

Thursday, 45-50 and while not raining, everything got wet, just one of those days. 5 hours of run and gun, not a single gobble. That includes seeing two on the edge of a field, that I know heard the calls.

Friday, nicer, actually saw blue in the sky, warmer as it went. Got a couple far off gobbles, ran into one that was going completely nuts in a field, before we even made a sound , he was gobbling non-stop, we blew that when we got to close and he saw us (probably should have stayed way back and brought him to us, oh well), Made a run around where he went into the woods and came at him from the other side, got him going again and he bagged us just before coming into range.

Saturday, repeat of Thursday, weather and silence

Is it 'normal' for them to be 100% silent during cold wet weather?
Old 05-08-2016, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

NO< they can be talkative in any weather, heard them going nuts in snow storms to high winds
BUT weather can cool things off if its a sudden change in things
I don't think there is any think that is 100% in wildlife, what turns some off in one place on same day might make others in another area on say day/weather, go wild

quiet for me, tends to me there henned up, or they just have visual sight of each other, some times weather fronts IMO causes them to roost closer and stick closer together

but again, how many hens to gobblers come into things, variables
a never ending part of hunting LOL

be happy, I have had winds and rain for the past 12+ days, and temps from 30's to mid 50's
up and down like a yo yo, here and calling for another week of wet weather and cool temps??
Glad I don't care much for turkey hunting anymore LOL
Old 05-08-2016, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dude rain is all I had all week... Shot both of my birds in the rain...
Old 05-09-2016, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not a fan of the rain either.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

In wet weather, turkeys will often travel along open paths and roads where they can avoid tall wet grass and brush.

I busted a bird last year in some drizzle. He was vocal the whole wet morning.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've shot some in the cold rain... but not nearly as many as on nice days... however... I tend to hunt much less on cold rainy days anyway...