Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Misfires

Old 04-30-2016, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Misfires

Anyone else ever have any misfires with turkey ammo?

I had two yesterday morning with Winchester Supreme 3 inch #6.
The firing pin dented the primer on both shells. Both were from the same box of ammo. I was using a Marlin Model 55 Goosegun (36" barrel), which is an old bolt action shotgun that will take up to 3 inch shells. The bolt was fully closed with the safety fully off and it was recently cleaned thoroughly and had never misfired before.

The first one I attempted to shoot was a nice tom at about 35 yards that had just flown down from the roost. I even reloaded the shell a second time and it still did not fire. The tom got away.

The second one I attempted to shoot about 2 hours later with 3 nice toms strutting in front of me about 30 yards away. I cycled another shell that was a #5 and I was then able to drop one of the toms.

I've had this happen before from wet powder in a muzzloader before, but never with store-bought ammo. Especially not twice in a row. Anyone else ever had this happen to them before?
Old 04-30-2016, 09:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

You may want to have the spring checked in the bolt that cocks the firing pin. The spring could be worn or broken. That is a fairly old shotgun
Old 04-30-2016, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

clean your gun first, strip the bolt may be oil and buildup causing the problem.
RR
Old 04-30-2016, 03:08 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I agree with OT and RR - I am willing to bet it is not the ammo but the firearm used. Try the ammo in another shotgun and I bet it fires.

JW
Old 05-01-2016, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

100% agree with OT and RR. I had a Marlin Goose gun in 10ga back in the day and that was an issue with it. I had to pul the bolt at least once a season and clean it. It would build up with gunk from the pit and blinds and have issues. And as OT said it may also be a spring issue. Mine was from using WD40 and now know much better than to use it at all for any firearm.