Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Do you shoot jakes

Old 04-13-2016, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I got lucky and shot a long beard my first time out !

I guess the young ones just don't have any appeal to me......................

Always enjoy being "out there" though !!!
Old 04-13-2016, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

I have shot jakes before in my time. I don't now and I don't care if anyone else shoots one.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:26 PM
Spike

As long as it legal I will drop a jake in his tracks.

Same way deer hunting I shoot the first thing that walks up most of the time.

I don't "trophy" hunt turkey or deer I hunt for the meat and just enjoying the hunt it makes no difference to me if the turkey has a 1" beard or 10" I will take what comes my way.

I have no problem with how anyone chooses to hunt as long as it is legal.

I have deer hunted in Arkansas and baiting was legal but I choose not to hunt around bait but if someone wants to hunt over bait and it is legal I have no issues with it I just choose not to.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:02 AM
Fork Horn

It all depends on my mood that day. If the birds are gobbling good, and I feel lucky, I'll let a jake walk. If things are slow and I'm losing patience, I'll shoot one. In the fall, it's a no-brainer, I'll shoot a jake without hesitating.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:00 PM
Typical Buck

I don't as a rule unless it's last day of the season and I have not gotten a shot at a tom, I took a jake 3 years ago.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot jakes... again, it depends on the season and the location. My time out has been more limited over the last couple of years, so I will probably take the first red head that comes in this year.. then wait for a long beard. I would prefer to shoot a tom, but don't always do.
I have shot a couple dozen long beards and a half dozen jakes or so over the years.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone only gets 1 tag for Spring Turkey in Michigan. With only 1 tag, I'll wait for a longbeard or have tag soup.

On the other hand, I've shot jakes before in other states, and when hunting in states with more liberal limits (ie., multiple tags/season) jakes are definitely fair game. However, I always give them a pass on Opening Day
Old 04-20-2016, 05:12 PM
Spike

I did for about the first 10 yrs of turkey hunting but I don't anymore. Whatever you want to shoot is just fine with me
Old 04-20-2016, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

have had 2 to step on me, so I capped them. a couple were sexually assaulting a decoy, they also got an eternal resting place beside a bowl of mashed taters, I try not to ecept in the fall when its no holds barred.
RR
Old 04-21-2016, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I ended up taking one of those 2 jakes on the last morning. Very happy with my first bird!! Learned a ton! First being the beard, I thought it was only about an inch long since thats all that was visible. Didn't know that you can't see half of it. It ended up being just under 5". Just nubs for spurs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.