Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Bead?

Old 03-14-2016, 11:34 AM
Spike

Default Bead?

Anyone hunt with just a bead on the gun.I,m old-school and don,t care for a scope.Killed plenty of birds without the teck stuff,like to call the in close.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's more than doable. You just have to remember to get down on the gun and don't peek before you let him have it. Otherwise you'll shoot high and the closer they are the easier it is to shoot over their head.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never used a scoped shotgun for turkey hunting though I have used a scoped crossbow successfully on turkey. I don't consider a scope teck stuff many of my rifles have them but not on my shotguns.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lots of birds killed with just the front bead of a shotgun in place before guns specifically for turkeys were made. You could always replace the bead with a fiber optic front sight and rear open sight. The fiber optic front sight would be easier to see and with an adjustable rear open sight you could dial the gun in.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Still w/factory bead and choke tube.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Lots of birds killed with just the front bead of a shotgun in place before guns specifically for turkeys were made. You could always replace the bead with a fiber optic front sight and rear open sight. The fiber optic front sight would be easier to see and with an adjustable rear open sight you could dial the gun in.
I was using my 28" Model 1200 Winchester as a turkey gun the first year or two with a fixed modified choke. Then I took that barrel off and had the short slug barrel for it threaded so I could use all kinds of chokes. Along with that I did as Oldtimr mentioned and had the front and rear sights removed and replaced with fiber optic sights. The whole works cost me about $50, not including the turkey choke I then bought for it. That shorter barrel really comes in handy in the grouse woods with an improved cylinder in it and as the leaves fall I just go to a little tighter choke as the birds start getting up a little further out. It also handles nicely when I use it turkey hunting compared to a longer barrel.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-14-2016 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Spelling & clarification
Old 03-14-2016, 01:03 PM
Dominant Buck

As Topgun mentioned a bead works great as long as you make sure to get down on the stock. I had a few issues once and got a ghost ring which clamped on the rib of my SBE and a fiber optic bead for the front. The ring is about as large as a small pea and is like a peep sight with a couple of fiber dots on the side. With my older eyes I put the fiber bead on the head and neck of the turkey and my eye naturally looks through the ring and centers. Works great and doesn't weigh anything.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

As my eyes continued to get bad, I had to ditch the fiber optic sights and move to a red dot.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:03 PM
Spike

Anybody use the truglo starbrite deluxe bead??
Old 03-14-2016, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Agree with RPD63 on a red dot scope. They work well and you don't really need to spend a lot of money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.