Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Youth gear?

Old 03-09-2016, 03:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default Youth gear?

I am looking for gloves and a mesh face mask for my small 10-yr old for the upcoming Illinois youth season. He shot his first deer last fall and is excited to get a shot at a tom this spring.
My masks just fall off his face. I can alter them or pin them, but Id really like to find some stuff downsized for him. Gander Mtn, Cabela's, BP, etc have a very limited selection of youth accessories. Any suggestions?
Thanks-
rw
Old 03-09-2016, 04:58 AM
Spike

What works on my four year old is get a full head mask wit the elastic bands. Just pull them tight behind the head maybe even tie them. I also don't put a hat on mine because it tends to push the top of the mask down into his eyes but a full head mask does the trick for me bud
Old 03-09-2016, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks. Ill give it a try. We've rigged up some pretty ingenous setups during deer season. That sounds like it will work a bit better than what Ive done. He is excited to look like a bush haha
Old 03-09-2016, 09:08 AM
Spike

Yea I'm still in the trying to teach them not to move phase haha good luck
Old 03-10-2016, 02:28 AM
Typical Buck

I'm afraid you won't find much in the way of youth face masks. As for gloves you can get some brown jersey gloves and shrink them in the wash and cut the fingers out of them. Most youth gloves are of the heavy kind.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

Wing Supply or Sportsmans Guide, both online may have what you want.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by RockyMtnGobblers
Wing Supply or Sportsmans Guide, both online may have what you want.
I will check. Thank you.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:26 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I'd bet he would go for camo face paint.

as far as gloves any dark jersey glove will do. My wide buys my grandkids those stretchy gloves. We use black.

JW
Old 03-12-2016, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JW
I'd bet he would go for camo face paint.

as far as gloves any dark jersey glove will do. My wide buys my grandkids those stretchy gloves. We use black.

JW
My 10yo has been doing the facepaint thing since his first time in a tree when he was 3yo (you talk about engineering I had to ziptie the harness to get it to fit him).

It gives them something to do in the blind or up in the tree when you notice if they don't move they will explode!!!

BTW keep at it with them swamp. Just this last year me and my 10yo sat from 5 1/2 hours in an evening sit waiting for a buck to get up off his bed, but our first sit when he was three was 15min.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:14 PM
Spike

Smile Triple S Wildlife Ranch Calvin OK.

The hunting experience and memories is not something that we will soon forget, having hunted whitetails for sometime. We all know that having two massive 10 points lock horn within 50 yards of your stand is not something you see every day. And just when we thought that was going to be the highlight of our trip, the very next morning we decided to do a little rattling. Nothing could have prepared us for what we were about to see, we rattled in at least five deer four of them were easily 145 to 160 class trophies, and then out of no where this massive 20 inch wide 12 point got within 25 feet of us UNBELEIVABLE. Plus, after the whitetail deer hunting, everyone loved the economical hog and rams hunting. Thanks for the memorable experiences, we will definitely be back soon.

Last edited by johnnyfrank17; 03-24-2016 at 10:25 AM. Reason: adding comment