Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Used every turkey call BUT >

Used every turkey call BUT

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Used every turkey call BUT

Old 09-24-2015, 08:43 PM
Spike

Default Used every turkey call BUT

okay so im buying some new turkey gear soon....i have used every turkey call but the mouth call...I like a challenge and i would like to master it to free up my hands...from what i have seen it take alot of practice and time...which is fine for me. so before i dive into the world of mouth calls...can a mouth call do every call you can do on a box or slate? Does it have a different tone...is there a time to use it and not use it? AFter you mastered it...did you go back to calls you used before or were you sold on the mouth call forever. How many differnt mouth calls are there(meaning does each one do a different call or comfort) do you ever have to get rid of them over time? Can you clean them as much as you want? does the latex break down in the call over time?thanks guys!!
Old 09-25-2015, 03:30 AM
Spike

Usually they sell 3 packs and u can make about any sound with at least one of those calls I never use slate or box calls anymore mouth calls is all I use now
Old 09-27-2015, 04:31 PM
Spike

is it better to learn on your own or watch videos on how to use them?
Old 09-27-2015, 05:14 PM
Spike

I would say talk to someone who knows how to use them and have them teach u
Old 09-28-2015, 05:27 AM
Typical Buck

Find one thats easy to blow. Once you get a sound then start trying to make the turkey sounds. The right call can make all the calls you need for a spring hunt. They are always coming out with new calls but find one that works and stick with it. You can get other name brands with the same cuts that will sound similar, but they all have their unique sound. When not using them put a toothpick in between the reeds and keep them in the frig. I will wash mine out with an antiseptic mouthwash before putting them away. I have calls that are 8-10 years old that sound brand new. You will like the hands free ability focus on the turkey and not moving with a call. Watch video's and do some reading or find a buddy that already knows how to do it and practice. Just don't call too much to birds or they may hang up and wait for you. Good luck.