Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I am stumped..

Old 07-30-2015, 09:12 PM
Typical Buck

This summer I would walk into the roost area and look for sign, mark the roost, fly down area, feeding area, travel routs and strut area with your gps. Mark areas where you can set up in these areas and the easiest and quietest way to get into these areas. Make a few natural blinds with the brush near fly down and strut areas at least so if many turkeys are close you are more concealed. Next spring BEFORE the turkey hunting season starts I would sneak in to the area where they fly down before light, get in your blind at least 45 min. before light and just observe roost area travel etc. so when the season starts you have everything you need to take home a nice tom. If you decide to set up and hunt in the roost area or fly down area you will need some cover on top of your blind.
Don't forget that hunting the roost area after 3pm can be very productive because the gobblers feel safe there, in my area (Colorado mtns) Merriam gobblers tend to strut below the roost area after 3 pm and can be easily called into the roost area but here when I find a gobbler if he answers my call I get aggressive and that seams to work very well here, you may want to get aggressive if gobblers answer but don't come in but if they are hened up they may not leave a bird in the hand for one in the bush. I called one away from several hens this spring by cutting the gobbler off calling aggressively. The noise you will make going into the area should not spook the birds if is dark, they are used to wild life making walking noises at night. I hope this helped good luck next year !
Old 08-08-2015, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry late to this one Phil. I hunt a lot of cutover birds. (Cutover is the Alabama term for cutting,

My buddy has taken several birds by using his strutter decoy to walk behind. I know a lot of people have mixed feelings about that.

For the most part I use the terrain to get close to birds. I will get behind a little rise and sneak as close as I can and then try to call them to the apex of the hill. If that isn't possible I find out where in the cutover they like to be and that's where I will be.

Find a logging road that cuts through the land. These are hotspots for the birds. Makes walking easier too. A decoy in the road and a brushpile or stump in gun range works well.