Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Just hanging out with the kids. >

Just hanging out with the kids.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Just hanging out with the kids.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:03 AM
Spike

Default Just hanging out with the kids.

I guess they are his. I dont know if this pic is a good sign or a bad one. I found a turkey nest with hen on it and there were 13 eggs. If they lay an average of that many give or take a few eggs then where are the other little ones at?

Last edited by X_Rayted35; 05-30-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Those are just his hens. The poults wouldn't be that big for this year
Old 05-30-2015, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most of the poults up in this part of the country are still in the egg! If the date is right on that photo, those hens probably did not breed this year or are just off their nests for a very short time. Message for the OP---You need to stay far away from where you busted that hen off her nest and hope that she came back to complete incubating them until they hatch.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 05-30-2015 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-30-2015, 05:17 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Most of the poults up in this part of the country are still in the egg! If the date is right on that photo, those hens probably did not breed this year or are just off their nests for a very short time. Message for the OP---You need to stay far away from where you busted that hen off her nest and hope that she came back to complete incubating them until they hatch.
Her eggs hatched and she is gone. Im glad I did find her nest. Farmer was set to disk that field after lunch. Also those seemed a bit small for hens. But they do seem a bit big for poults. My eggs hatched around 2 weeks ago so yea I guess they are hens. But the Hens I have seen either on camera or with binoculars, or just walking by my bedroom window are the size of jakes. The birds in this pic seem pretty small.

Last edited by X_Rayted35; 05-30-2015 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:12 AM
Spike

OK just got back from a walk around the farm. Had 2 Toms with 5 Hens come within 75 yards of me. Watched them with the Binoculars from the time the exited my duck impoundment and crossed the dove field into a 80 acre field where Farmer just planted cotton. The Toms stayed fanned out 90% of the time almost like they were herding the Hens around. These Hens were twice the size of the ones in my picture. Im still pretty sure those cant be poults cause like some of you said its too early for them to have grown that much. So maybe they are young Hens born last year that didnt breed this year? Most of mine are already off the nest because I have found 3 more. Two nests showed signs of predation, eggs broken and feathers everywhere but no bones.

Last edited by X_Rayted35; 05-31-2015 at 03:17 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

If the broken eggs appear to have a round opening circling close to one end and are otherwise intact they likely hatched out . Depending how far south you are it is possible that you could have some large poults running around and I would think that unless their nests were damaged and they re-nested and even then I would still think most of your nests would be hatched out by now ! But it is also possible that a few hens had their nests damaged twice and are trying again to re-nest ! This would also be a cause for small poults in the fall, that if they survived to the spring may account for their smaller size now ? Interesting though ! As far as survival I have several feeders that I set up for the turkeys in sanctuary area and every year in June, July and August I get pics of hens with numerous poults but as the poults get bigger and time passes there are less and less of them. I have seen a hen with 11 poults in july and by October she was showing up with only 4 ! Being a Wild Turkey is a tough !
Old 05-31-2015, 06:32 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
But it is also possible that a few hens had their nests damaged twice and are trying again to re-nest ! This would also be a cause for small poults in the fall, that if they survived to the spring may account for their smaller size now
How would they renest? Wouldnt they have to get fertilized by a Tom again? I guess its not too late for that since I am still seeing big Toms strutting around. Might have a hen doing just that near my house. I have seen this same hen off and on for the last month go into a thick area around the same place everytime. Its in a place we are clearing for a pond and theres a lot of timber stacked to be burned. Wonder if maybe a fox or snake keeps getting to her nest?
Old 05-31-2015, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sure, they can be bred again by a Tom and lay another nest of eggs. That's why sometimes you'll see very small birds late in the Fall and it's very possible that some of those small hens you're seeing were from a late hatch a year ago.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by X_Rayted35
How would they renest? Wouldnt they have to get fertilized by a Tom again? I guess its not too late for that since I am still seeing big Toms strutting around. Might have a hen doing just that near my house. I have seen this same hen off and on for the last month go into a thick area around the same place everytime. Its in a place we are clearing for a pond and theres a lot of timber stacked to be burned. Wonder if maybe a fox or snake keeps getting to her nest?
Hens only really need to be bred by a tom once to have enough material to fertilize all their eggs that they produce. But having said that I would imagine that for a third nesting they would need to visit Mr. Tom again ! They usually lay one egg a day until they have laid all in a clutch and then they sit. I have found nests with over 20 eggs in them and observed that 2 different hens were taking turns sitting and obviously had laid their eggs in the same nest. Nests can be damaged by many things including just high water that floods them and all kinds of animals like possums, raccoon, skunks you name it !