Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Help with a Strategy

Old 05-12-2015, 05:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default Help with a Strategy

Last week in Virginia. I have three birds located. Unfortunately they're on posted property next to a lease I hunt. They've been in their strut zones, about 70 yards in and do the typical thing: parade back and forth, gobbling at each end. So far, "late season" strategies have not worked. They'll gobble but won't come in and haven't come in after an hour or so of silent treatment. Any ideas? (short of trespassing )

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can you describe in more detail the terrain/topography? It will help most of us if we can better visualize the layout of the land - type/density of trees, undergrowth, size of fields, obstacles between the properties, etc. I suspect you're experiencing late Spring in VA - I still have tulips blooming in SW Michigan...

S&R
Old 05-12-2015, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default Details

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The terrain is mostly flat. This part of the lease is fairly young and thick pine. The posted property is sandwiched between the lease and open fields. Comprised of mostly white oak, it has been managed and is fairly open, even this time of year. An ATV trail runs along the boundary line. The hardwoods average about 250 yards wide at this point (see attached photo). I appreciate the help.
Attached Thumbnails Help with a Strategy-lr.jpg  
Old 05-12-2015, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few other quick questions:

1) Sorry - can you define 'flat'?
I've learned that 'flat' is relative compared to where you live - I grew up in the lower Catskills in NY with real hills, whereas a 50 ft incline in SW Michigan is considered by most as a 'hill'..

2) Any water?
3) In that pic, where exactly do the birds roost?
4) What is the general travel direction from the roost?
5) Do you set up in different locations, or always the same spot?

I'm assuming the birds fly down and immediately head to those fields to strut & dust?

S&R

Last edited by Strut&Rut; 05-12-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Are you using a hen decoy? If not try one, also you may want to consider a gobbler decoy a short distance away from a hen decoy facing her and if you are sure no one else is hunting there try a gobble. Perhaps put the hen decoy right on the ground without a stake in the submit to breeding position. Good luck
Old 05-12-2015, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Without all of the answers, I have 3 main suggestions:

1) Try to get permission to ACCESS the private property to scout and track. I've had good permission getting access to walk most properties, even those I can't hunt - don't be afraid to ask...

If you can get permission, break up the birds either on the way to the roost or after they are in the roost. Once separated, be the FIRST hen to speak the next morning and hope he answers your calls. If he does, then you just exponentially increased your chance of calling him in for a shot. Set up as close as possible to his roost, and in the biggest opening in the pines that you can find. Decoy or not is a personal choice...

2) Hunt on the crappiest weather days or in the afternoon. If the pines are really thick, then I suspect the birds don't frequent the pines often, but might in really bad weather (where they can hear) or during the afternoon to escape the heat.

3) If you can't break up the birds, and have no luck in the afternoon, then get aggressive with your calling. I think you're past the point of soft and seductive...

Collectively, you're probably (99+%) trying to call the birds in a direction they normally don't travel during the breeding season. One of the only ways to CALL them onto your property is to sound like an old hen, one that wants to breed late in the season (which happens when they lose a nest). This can be deadly, but you probably only have 1 chance...
In essence, you're trying to draw the hens - the tom should follow - but he still may hang up out of range. This is where hunting with a partner can be key, as the shooter can be positioned 30-50yds in front of the caller....

Sum:
I suggest you break them up if at all possible, this will greatly improve your chances. You might be able to break them up without even going onto the property, but it will take a lot of racket...

Second to that, given your terrain, I think your best bet is going to be an evening or afternoon hunt - you may be able to swing them in your direction on the way to their roost...

If that fails, then get a partner and get aggressive, fighting purrs and clucks to imitate 2 hens fighting...

Last edited by Strut&Rut; 05-12-2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default Thanks

Good suggestions. I can implement most of them. As for "barriers", very few. There are a couple of small drainage areas that are mostly dry now. As for "flat", the attached topo gives an idea.

I'll let you know.
Attached Thumbnails Help with a Strategy-topo.jpg