Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
very quiet in the turkey woods >

very quiet in the turkey woods

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

very quiet in the turkey woods

Old 05-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Finally made it happen today. After getting back from up north late Saturday I caught up with all the lawn chores down here for a couple days while watching the weather closely. It was to get down into the 30s last night and there was just a slight breeze with sunshine predicted for today, so I slept in and instead of being out for any 5:40AM gobbles at daylight, I didn't go out until after 9AM about 10 miles from the house. The farmer who leases the 40 acres a friend of mine owns where I planned to hunt was planting soybeans on the southern end of the property, so I headed to the north end where I always like to hunt anyway. I dropped down a wooded hillside off the edge of the open field about 60 yards and set up 25 yards from a stream and wet area that is so mucky right now that you can sink in 4' if you're not careful. I got set up against a big maple tree and hit the Lynch box call with some low yelps and then built it up quite loud with no responses. I sat still looking for a bird to come in silent and after about 6 or 7 minutes hit the call again like the first time. About 2 minutes later I had two big jakes come over a little rise and they were dang near in my lap off to my right with the leader being the biggest before I saw them. They were really putting, but no gobbles whatsoever as they came in! The big one got on by me going downhill and the other just turned away and was gone back over the little rise, but I'm sure he hadn't seen me because he didn't give an alarm putt to warn the other bird. That bigger lead bird turned north and went on down into the bottom mucky area and I was able to get turned around toward him and gave him some low purrs. All I could see was his red head occasionally as he came back across the heavy wet area putting and heading back to where they had come from. When he was in some real heavy cover I got ready and when he hit one small opening where I could see all of his head and neck I let him have it with one of those new 3" #6 Longbeard XRs I bought this year! He was right at 40 yards and it knocked him down like it was 4 yards, so I'm sold on these new Winchester loads! It wasn't 15 minutes from the time I sat down to the gun going off and was by far the fastest hunt I've ever had in the turkey woods. He's all dressed out and soaking in cold water in the frig. before I freeze the breasts to eat later and I'll crock pot the legs and thighs in some mushroom soup over night and have them for supper for a day or two. Life is good even though I didn't think the turkey gods were going to make it happen this year!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 05-20-2015 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-20-2015, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Topgun. 10 miles from home, that must be nice.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

WTG.......still time left to score again.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by maytom
WTG.......still time left to score again.
Not here in MI, as we only get one Spring tag for a bearded bird.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

The Tom I shot yesterday in Maine gobbled up a storm and
came in on a string to 25 yards where I shot him before he
could get any closer. He was probably the smallest Tom I've ever shot,
weighed less than 15 pounds ( 7 " beard and 5/8 spurs ). I'm
thinking from a late brood 2 years ago or he was just the runt of
the litter. However what he lacked in size he more than made up
for in gobbling bravado. This was at 10:15 am after checking
numerous other spots from before fly down on and he was the first
at all cooperative Tom.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by w123t
The Tom I shot yesterday in Maine gobbled up a storm and
came in on a string to 25 yards where I shot him before he
could get any closer. He was probably the smallest Tom I've ever shot,
weighed less than 15 pounds ( 7 " beard and 5/8 spurs ). I'm
thinking from a late brood 2 years ago or he was just the runt of
the litter. However what he lacked in size he more than made up
for in gobbling bravado. This was at 10:15 am after checking
numerous other spots from before fly down on and he was the first
at all cooperative Tom.
WTG.......gobblers usually loose almost 5 pounds during the mating season. Similar to a rutting buck. Weight to me doesn't matter, it's the hardware that counts, beard & spurs!!!
Old 05-23-2015, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

WTG.......gobblers usually loose almost 5 pounds during the mating season. Similar to a rutting buck. Weight to me doesn't matter, it's the hardware that counts, beard & spurs!!!
+1

If you see a "bare chest" on him, you know he has been doing a lot of breeding.................. dominate Tom ! LOL

Last edited by Sheridan; 05-24-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:52 PM
Spike

Durn hope it gets better
After being out 4 mornings now here in NY, the silence is killing me???? I mean no gobbles what so ever and this is even from some of my honey holes!!! I can understand after a morning gobble before flydown they get henned up. But not hearing a peep right till the quitting time at 12 noon is sure frustrating to say the least!!! Wondering on any others experiencing this when out?
Old 05-29-2015, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, the fat lady has sung for me. This morning was the last chance I had to get out. Nada, zip, zilch!!! Again, the woods were as quiet as a church like the entire month has been? I have to say, in over 25 years, I have never seen a month like this has been this year!!!
Old 05-29-2015, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, the fat lady has sung for me. This morning was the last chance I had to get out. Nada, zip, zilch!!! Again, the woods were as quiet as a church like the entire month has been? I have to say, in over 25 years, I have never seen a month like this has been this year!!!
Sorry for the bummer season...

Are you sure the birds are still there? Bad winters do funny things to the birds, especially the hens...

Example: SW Michigan had a record-breaking winter 2 years ago, and the extreme weather forced birds (especially the hens) to migrate extensively to find new food sources. Some well established honey-holes turned into wastelands, and new areas (that had never held birds) opened up. Local areas that held 4-5 gobblers dried up, with only maybe an occasional jake sighting. Spring 2014 was the first time in 10 years that turkeys were seen in my yard and back property (which is swamp and definitely not turkey 'habitat'), and my wife and son reported multiple toms roaming through from March to early April this year. If the hens changed their nesting areas, then the gobblers most likely switched roost areas, which drastically changed their patterns.

IMO, jakes also dictate much of the gobbling, as jake gobbles induce more shock gobbles (and dominant responses) than any other call. If you had a rough winter and fewer jakes, then gobbling will be down...

The best late-season tactic for me has always been Rule #1 - hunt where the birds are. Try some post-season spring turkey scouting in the area (most people will let you walk their property, maybe not hunt, but at least walk) to see if you can find a new honeyhole. It's also pre-season scouting for deer and fall turkey

I've got tonight and 2 days to fill 2 tags - my 9yo son's first bird, and my own. We've had hens, jakes and a lone gobbler for 3 days now, and this morning the longbeard should have been taking a ride in the truck - but that's why it's called 'mentored youth hunting'

S&R

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.