Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Remington express xtra long range >

Remington express xtra long range

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Remington express xtra long range

Old 04-26-2015, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 7mmruger
Their not turkey loads loads their rem express loads. And yes they will kill a turkey.
I didn't say they wouldn't kill a turkey, but we're talking turkey loads in this Forum/thread to kill a turkey, not regular small game loads like you're using routinely for small game.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:13 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I didn't say they wouldn't kill a turkey, but we're talking turkey loads in this Forum/thread to kill a turkey, not regular small game loads like you're using routinely for small game.
Yes but the op said will those shell kill a turkey as he already has some.I said yes but they are not really intended for such use but they will work.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bald9eagle
Buy some Winchester Longbeard XR. It has been an extremely long time since I shot any Rem shells.
I seldom buy anything just based on hype, but I bought a box of those the other day for $18 in 3" #6 shot with a 1200 fps velocity to use in a Benelli turkey gun with a 670 Cabelas turkey choke. The gun belongs to a buddy who now lives in Florida and he leaves it up here in my safe so he doesn't have to mess with it when he flies up here. Our season tag starts on May 4 and goes through the end of the month. Winchester touts their product as shooting the tightest patterns and longest shot capability of any traditional turkey load in history with twice the pellets in a 10" circle out to 60 yards. We set targets at 30 yards Friday night for the kids sight in night at our annual turkey hunt that our NWTF Chapter over in Battle Creek puts on every year at the Fort Custer NG Training Center since most of them are pretty young and shooting 20 gauges. After they all finished I put one of these Winchester loads through that Benelli and I was astounded at the pattern. I'm guessing that over 75% were inside a 6" circle an 90%+ within a 10" circle with very few fliers, so I'm sure sold on that new technology with the gel they're using to surround all the pellets before they go into the actual plastic shot column. I don't like to shoot at a bird over 40 yards, but that pattern told me a bird is dead meat at 50 yards with that new load. At that 30 yard distance I do believe it would almost decapitate a bird with 300 pellets in that tight a circle.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 7mmruger
Yes but the op said will those shell kill a turkey as he already has some.I said yes but they are not really intended for such use but they will work.
The reason for the confusion was because you didn't quote that you were directly responding to what the OP was using. With a number of posts by others before you made yours, I didn't realize you were talking about the OP load, but rather what LB had posted. Thanks for the clarification!
Old 04-28-2015, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I seldom buy anything just based on hype, but I bought a box of those the other day for $18 in 3" #6 shot with a 1200 fps velocity to use in a Benelli turkey gun with a 670 Cabelas turkey choke. The gun belongs to a buddy who now lives in Florida and he leaves it up here in my safe so he doesn't have to mess with it when he flies up here. Our season tag starts on May 4 and goes through the end of the month. Winchester touts their product as shooting the tightest patterns and longest shot capability of any traditional turkey load in history with twice the pellets in a 10" circle out to 60 yards. We set targets at 30 yards Friday night for the kids sight in night at our annual turkey hunt that our NWTF Chapter over in Battle Creek puts on every year at the Fort Custer NG Training Center since most of them are pretty young and shooting 20 gauges. After they all finished I put one of these Winchester loads through that Benelli and I was astounded at the pattern. I'm guessing that over 75% were inside a 6" circle an 90%+ within a 10" circle with very few fliers, so I'm sure sold on that new technology with the gel they're using to surround all the pellets before they go into the actual plastic shot column. I don't like to shoot at a bird over 40 yards, but that pattern told me a bird is dead meat at 50 yards with that new load. At that 30 yard distance I do believe it would almost decapitate a bird with 300 pellets in that tight a circle.
I had been a Nitro man for several years. I didn't mind paying $10 per shell with the way they shot. My brother told me I needed to try the Longbeards in my Benelli. I was amazed at how well they shot compared to the high dollar Nitro and Mag Blend loads. One of my buddies shot a bird at 73 steps (he admitted getting turkey fever) and my brother shot one at near 65 steps (running away). My buddy said he didn't realize he was that far but both cases they dropped birds in their tracks.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had been a Nitro man for several years. I didn't mind paying $10 per shell with the way they shot. My brother told me I needed to try the Longbeards in my Benelli. I was amazed at how well they shot compared to the high dollar Nitro and Mag Blend loads. One of my buddies shot a bird at 73 steps (he admitted getting turkey fever) and my brother shot one at near 65 steps (running away). My buddy said he didn't realize he was that far but both cases they dropped birds in their tracks.
All I can say is at less than $2 a pop compared to all the other high priced stuff out there like you mentioned, I know what I'm using starting next Monday because my FL buddy just informed me he can't make it up here this season!
Old 05-02-2015, 01:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Buy some Winchester Longbeard XR. It has been an extremely long time since I shot any Rem shells.
The same thing I use here.. I have tried the Remington Turkey loads but have had the best results using those Winchester loads..