Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Why does Hevi-shot mag. blend kick so much harder that Hevi shot #6? >

Why does Hevi-shot mag. blend kick so much harder that Hevi shot #6?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Why does Hevi-shot mag. blend kick so much harder that Hevi shot #6?

Old 04-10-2015, 12:37 AM
Spike

Default Why does Hevi-shot mag. blend kick so much harder that Hevi shot #6?

I am wondering why Hevi-Shot Mag Blends kick so much harder than the hevi shot #5's, 6's or 7's in hevi- shot?

They have the same powder loads.

I have shot the Mag Blends before and I went to shot a couple through my new chock tube, I was in the setting position and it took me by surprise and just about put me on my back. The i shot some Hevi shot #6 and not near the recoil the Mag. blend had.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am not familure with that shell because I use lead shot, but what is the weight of the shot load,(ozs)? If the shot load is heavier, there will be more recoil.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigc870
I am wondering why Hevi-Shot Mag Blends kick so much harder than the hevi shot #5's, 6's or 7's in hevi- shot?

They have the same powder loads...
Are you SURE? Just because they have the same "dram equivalent" doesn't necessarily mean it's the same exact powder. 10grains of xyz powder can be totally different in reaction/burnrate/powder than 10 grains of ABC powder. (And as said oldtimr said, are the shot loads the same? Obviously 1.5oz of any shot will recoil drastically different than 2oz of just about anyother shot.

And if you want to FORGET about the recoil of either loads you are talking about then just get you a Mossy 835UM and load it with 3.5" Hevi-shot Tri-plex 2.25oz loads from Nitro Ray... TRUST ME, you'll forget ALL about the "recoil" of anyother 12ga loads!

http://www.nitrocompany.com/index.html
Old 04-10-2015, 08:24 PM
Spike

I don't know, but I do know a muzzleloading rifle recoil will be more with the same load and a ramrod, than with the load alone.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

I've got some Hevi 5 and some Hevi blend.

I've never been able to afford to shoot enough times to make a valid comparison.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

It would be nice if when someone asks a question and others ask questions to get more info to help or make suggestions if they would come back and give a report on if the answers helped.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
It would be nice if when someone asks a question and others ask questions to get more info to help or make suggestions if they would come back and give a report on if the answers helped.
100% agreed!!!!! Some replys contribute absolutlely nothing to the OP original question!!!!

In regards to the OP's original question. I kinda feel what he is saying and IMHO, I feel that he may have been caught by surprise for what ever reason by that first shot. Then when he fired the second shot, he was more aware of the outcome than prior.