Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
7 1/2 shot size questions >

7 1/2 shot size questions

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

7 1/2 shot size questions

Old 04-05-2015, 02:49 PM
Spike

Default 7 1/2 shot size questions

I'm new to turkey hunting and wanting to give it a try this spring. Here in Ohio our season starts the 20th so I was patterning my old SxS today. I was shooting pop cans assuming they're close to the same size as a trukeys head. At 35yrds through a full choke 6 shot gave me about 10 pellets in the can while 7 1/2 gave me about 30. My question is will 7 1/2 carry enough velocity to dispatch a turkey at 35yrds? Or should I go pick up some "turkey" shells. It'll be pretty much wide open shots not much brush. Also any recommendations on calls? And what kind of plan should I use to nab a turkey? I'm hunting on 70 acres in southern Ohio there's about a 50 acre hay field surrounded by old growth woods with a stream and a pond running down the one side. Any help would be appreciateated, thanks
Old 04-05-2015, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

First buy two extra full extended Turkey chokes, and pattern them with your #6 shot.

http://www.trulockchokes.com/turkey-...2416a239872f4a
Old 04-06-2015, 02:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sbrumfield1
My question is will 7 1/2 carry enough velocity to dispatch a turkey at 35yrds?
No. Get yourself some turkey loads.

A slate or box call is easy to use. And right off the bat you'll sound like a turkey.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:06 AM
Fork Horn

I personally prefer 4 or 5 shot. But that's just me
Old 04-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check your gun before putting a modern turkey load in it!

How old is old? Some older shotguns took 2.5" shells. If your muzzle's are fixed choke, leave the SxS at home. The cost for machining and the the choke tubes isn't worth it. There are modern shells made for old classic guns. Look into those.

Go get a used pump-action shotgun with screw-in chokes, test your patterns and then bust some heads!
Old 04-07-2015, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2015, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

What about the federal premium heavyweight #7 turkey loads? Will they be alright to 35 yards?
Old 04-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

Lead 7.5 only have use as filler in du/triplex loads, NOT as the only or primary shot. They are just to small & light to retain proper velocity & energy at distances over 30yds.

Now the Hevishot, Heavyweight etc... "Heavier than lead" shot types are another thing all together! Yes in those cases they can have as much penetration & power as lead 6s! But do you really need THAT much shot to kill a turkey?

Look at this hevi-shot chart, 1.5oz of 7s isn't that much less than nearly DOUBLE the pellet count of 1.5oz of 5s (5s are my favorite lead size, "nearly 4 power with nearly 6 pellet counts" but for hevi-shot I recommend 6s unless you are talking about trick tubes, tri-plex loads & distances over 65-70yds like my big 835UM is set up for). 400-600+ pellets (2oz of 7HS = 556 pellets) is ALOT of shot to sling at something less than 50yds away! You actually can put TO MUCH shot in a load with a tight tube & you'll end up hampering yourself.

As for your "35yds & less" statement, why limit yourself? You KNOW sooner or later you will cross paths with a bird that is 40-50yds... Then what are you going to do? Will you HONESTLY sit there & allow it to pass while silently kicking yourself in the rear end? Go prepared for 50yds, which is quite easy for today's guns, tubes & loads & then just keep that in mind if you get lucky & get a crack at Tom inside of 30yds.
Attached Thumbnails 7 1/2 shot size questions-image.jpg  

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 04-07-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

First I would go buy some turkey loads in #5 or #6 shot and see what those do in both barrels of your sxs. If those don't produce a tight pattern out to 35-40 yards, I'll go against the flow and say that if you're putting that many 7 1/2 shot in a pop can that you certainly should be able to kill a bird at 30 yards with that old gun if that's all you have to use. Just make sure and limit your distance to 30 yards or less and if you rock a bird with the first shot follow it up with your other barrel to insure he's down for the count.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:19 PM
Spike

My gun isn't too old. Actually its only two years old. I just felt the need to put the word old in front of SxS it felt right haha.. Anyways its chambered up to a 3" shell so in the next couple of days I'll go pick up some turkey loads in #5 and #6 shot and see which patterns better. Also I think I'm gonna stick with the full choke that came with the gun and stick the IM in the other barrel. I'll shoot for some extra tight chokes next year. Just trying to get my feet wet right now. Thanks for all the help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.