Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need some help

Old 04-03-2015, 05:04 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Default Need some help

The place I hunt I've only seen one jake. I have been out a few times in the evening and have called a few times and both times I got them to answer. The question is I have not seen any turkeys in the fields. The one I saw was down in some taller grass one night. These birds that are answering aren't to far away but they are not patterning my way yet. Do you think things might change as weather gets warmer and things start to heat up?
Old 04-03-2015, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes - at different times of the year, different food sources are available in different areas.

Water however, is something they need before they go to roost and right after fly down in the AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:54 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Thanks> I am setup just above the river with farm land all around me. I usually see some birds in the fields but haven't yet. This river bottom in heavy wooded area and they roost in large cottonwood trees.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Spike

Can you hunt in the woods?
Old 04-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Locate the roost tree - sounds like you know where it is.......................?

Set-up along the tree line one day about 100 yards away from the roost tree (N,S,E or W).

The following day set-up along the opposite side of the tree line about 100 yards from the roost tree.

After that, you should know where to set-up the following morning - dead bird !!!
Old 04-03-2015, 08:04 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Sheridan>>That would be the best way to do it but there is miles of heavy wooded river frontage. Not all of this land I can hunt. There is back water and islands mixed in along the river. These islands are very hard to get to and birds are on them and fly across to feed in fields. I got about 3/4 of a mile of river and framed fields to hunt.

I did set the blind up today. I will see how things go early on then ma have to get right down on the river in the heavy brush later in the season. At this point they aren't coming to the fields I usually see them. No tracks but can hear them so they aren't to far away.