Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

A .45 PRB For Turkey?

Old 03-15-2015, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default A .45 PRB For Turkey?

I bought a Kentucky .45 rifle, and was thinking of hunting turkey's. It's an OTC tag here, and good for the whole month of Sept. A great time to be in the rocky mountains, and all my big game hunts are in Oct.

I thought using the primitive sights, and round ball should be a pretty good challenge for a head shot. Any of you do that?
Old 03-15-2015, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

That would definitely be a challenge if you shoot for the head. I think with my old eyes and open sights I would have to shoot him in the upper body where there is room for error. I've only shot one in my life with a rifle and it was a Rio in south Texas with my .243 Sako one evening when I was actually hog hunting and a big Tom came in straight on at 100 yards. I put one right above his beard and he just sat down for a dirt nap and when I cleaned him there was no damage to any of the meat, as the bullet had gone high through the back and missed all the good breast meat. Go for it Pete, as that would be a fun and challenging hunt.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not a lot of meat to begin with. I'd hate to put a hole in the breast. You know how those round balls expand.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Not a lot of meat to begin with. I'd hate to put a hole in the breast. You know how those round balls expand.
The solution is to call the sucker in so close you can just give him a good wack on the noggin with the rifle!!!
Old 03-15-2015, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I could save ammo that way too.