Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How do you turkey hunt?

Old 02-24-2015, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default How do you turkey hunt?

What's up guys! Just wanting to see how some of you go about your turkey season! Do you use a blind? Nestle back in the weeds? Go from your treestand? You like decoys or go without? Gun or bow?

I personally either find a hole in the weeds and hide back in there or set up in my blind. I usually set out a couple feeding hen decoys and maybe a jake here and there. I had one walk within 5 yards of me last year sitting in the weeds but he came from the side that I wasn't set up for and I couldn't get my gun turned for the shot and the weeds were too thick to get a shot. I bought me a new blind this year and will be in black attire for the hunts. Just purchased a new camera so I will be trying to get some good footage to share with everyone! I prefer to take my trusty ole Mossberg 500 12ga.

Please share your preferred method to help not only me but others that are going at it this year and maybe some tips on what you've found to be your favorite calling method (if any). Thanks all! Aaaaand go!

Last edited by Outdoor Addiction; 02-25-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I run and gun, walk to a ridge top, start walking, call every quarter mile, when one answers, run to him, get either within 100 yards or as close as possible without being seen, get set-up and call, have killed way over 100 gobblers using this method.
RR
Old 02-24-2015, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I can't get a bird in the first half hour when they come down from the roost, I also do the run and gun the rest of the day similar to what RR mentioned. Many people give up after the first hour or two and a great time to kill a longbeard is from the middle of the morning on through the rest of the day after the hens have left them. I killed one good bird just 1/2 hour before quitting time one night after starting out before daylight over 12 hours earlier. Turkey hunting takes an awful lot of patience.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 02-24-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:51 PM
Spike

I used to run and gun exclusively, and successfully, but more often now I hunt from a blind, with decoys, and target henned up toms in fields. Both methods work well, with the excitement being greater with run and gun, unless bowhunting from a blind. When you sit against a tree knowing so many variables can affect your success, it tends to increase the tension, over blind hunting, at least for me.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:54 AM
Typical Buck

I lean up against a tree close in to the roost before light then run and gun if I find em I get in close or head em off, around 3 pm I get set up with decoys in the roost area ( this works very well ). If I have a gobbler that responds well but wont come in and I can tell he's strutting I will cut the distance by say 50 or so feet and they come in every time. This spring I'm getting the long beard I didn't have time to get last year, He roosts at the base of a mountain at the edge of a large open area flies down, heads through a bottle neck across a small creek through the woods, a fence and right to the strut area where the rest of the flock goes from a different roost area. The strut area is on private property so I will set up several decoys close to the bottle neck before light leaving him room to go between me and the decoys and have a breeding pair set up. Well that's the plan turkeys always change plans.