Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Begginer Turkey Hunter

Old 02-25-2015, 12:39 PM
Spike

Hey guys I got a pot call a couple days ago. My dad was going through some old hunting stuff and found it. Also here in NC we just got some snow and went walking and came across three pairs of turkey tracks that were all gobblers and led me right to the roost tree. But the problem is it's on a shooting clubs property. So now I need to figure how to get them on my area.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds to me like you need to figure out why they "like" to come onto your property during their travels.

Water, food, strutting area, etc. and then set-up a ambush !

Hopefully they do this routinely..............

Have you hunted turkeys before ?
Old 02-25-2015, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I highly doubt it!!!
Old 02-25-2015, 01:13 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Too bad you are not located in WI as I teach a Learn To Hunt Program (Turkeys). It is a free program sponsored by the WI DNR, a local NWTF Chapter, and the Lake Noquebay Sportsman's Club. Totally free to any first time hunter.
You attend a 5 hr. seminar, you will receive a free dinner, Instruction on how to pattern a shotgun, methods how to hunt , everything a new hunter would need to know and then the next morning you are paired with a seasoned turkey hunter and you go hunting. All free even the license! This program is open to any first time hunter from ages 10 to 110 or older!

JW
Old 02-26-2015, 04:46 AM
Spike

Sadly I live in Piedmont area of NC. I have never hunted turkey before because I've never had anywhere to hunt them and now that I do it's exciting! I'll have to check around NC for a turkey class like that.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:45 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Samurile
Sadly I live in Piedmont area of NC. I have never hunted turkey before because I've never had anywhere to hunt them and now that I do it's exciting! I'll have to check around NC for a turkey class like that.
And
Spend some time in the Tips and Technique forum. All the Articles there are written by our experienced turkey hunters (notice I did not call them old!) and is there to help you.

JW
The link:
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/spec...s-tactics-107/
Old 02-26-2015, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

The choke is easy to remove. Take it out and you will see the type or constriction marked on it. I'm guessing if you have only one choke it will be modified or improved. Get at least a full choke, extra full may be better. I found my extra full on ebay or amazon, can't remember exactly. I paid around $15.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

hint:
mid-morning to early afternoon before your going to hunt, walk on your property, call, call a lot, make so much hen noise the gobblers come check it out, they may roost on your hunting property, then its game on.
you could call to them on the other property but its diffacult to get them to cross a fence most of the time, unless you can get them to land on your side of the fence when they fly down.
RR
Old 02-26-2015, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JW
The easiest call to master is a box call followed by a slate or pot call.
I don't like taking shots over 20 yards. As of late it has been 10 to 15 yards......the closer the better.

But that is just me.
JW
I agree with JW. The closer the better. Take a few shots with your preferred turkey load and see how it patterns at different distances to get a good idea of how far it looks like would be a good shot then try to keep it under 5yds or less (if it patterened well at 35 yds keep your shot distance at 30 yds or less) of your furtherest you feel it patterns well. First shot is the one that counts cause it could be your only shot!
Old 02-27-2015, 12:11 PM
Spike

Luckily there's no fence between our properties!! They've come over a couple times this past week. Also I traded in the Maverick and got a Remington 887. Now I'm looking at some chokes. What are some good ones out to about 40 yards? What about shotgun loads? I can take up to 3 1/2 inch shells but would feel more comfortable with 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.